Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Mom's with Hearing Impaired Children

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:46 AM
  • 8 Replies

This is my first time posting! Glad I found this group! Let me introduce myself! My name is Lisa and I am 40, and I have a daughter who is 4.  We live in Ohio.

My Concern:  We have noticed myself, hubby, pre-k teacher, grandmother) in the last 3 months that my daughters hearing has been fading.  Examples:  Always asking for the TV/Radio to be turned up; does not hear me when I speak to her in normal tone; she talks VERY loud; when she doesn't hear me, she walks over and tilts her ear toward my mouth.

I took her to the pediatrician, he checked her ears, saw no sign of wax build up, no ear infection (she has only had 3 in her lifetime).  When they did the prescreen at Ped's, she failed it twice.  Now I know that those can be not the best tests.  The child may have not have known what to do, etc... The Doc noticed that the area around her ear drum was a little red so he prescribed Amoxicillan for 10 days, thinking she may have noninfected fluid trapped behind her ear drum.  We are going back in two weeks to have it rechecked.  He said then we may need to go to a Ped ENT. 

I am sure someone on here has dealt with this.  Yesterday we were raking leaves together and it seemed as if I was totally yelling at her just for her to hear me.  This really got me down.  I wasn't really worried about it and my thinking was "it could be worse".  But yesterday really hit me hard.  Any words of advice or experience with hearing impaired children would be greatly appreciated. 

I understand we are in the very early stages (and I know it could just be trapped fluid), but as a mom, we always think the worst and try to be prepared for it. 

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PrincessZ20
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM

First off, welcome to the group!  We're glad to have you here!

Have you taken her for a formal hearing test?  We've done them several times and they're pretty straightforward and easy!  They clip a little probe in their ears and measure....something.  lol.  But they're more accurate than the ones where they check a child's reaction because those are subject to the child's cooperation. 

Good luck!! 

Suzukigirl710
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM

No we have not done the formal hearing test yet.  We are still on antibiotics and we go back the ped the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.  Where we go from there will depend on her success there.  I was just hoping to hear about what happens next.  Thanks!

Quoting PrincessZ20:

First off, welcome to the group!  We're glad to have you here!

Have you taken her for a formal hearing test?  We've done them several times and they're pretty straightforward and easy!  They clip a little probe in their ears and measure....something.  lol.  But they're more accurate than the ones where they check a child's reaction because those are subject to the child's cooperation. 

Good luck!! 

Vertical15
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Welcome to the group!  We are glad you found us as well!

Definately see about having her hearing tested and go from there.  In the meantime you could make it a learning experience and teach each other sign language to save from all the yelling or even make up your own sign language just for fun?

I do hope the medicine works.  My husband had many ear infections as a child and resulted in major hearing loss in one ear.  He gets frustrated sometimes.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM

My 11 year old has passed every hearing test known to man, but she needs the volume up, always asks us to repeat, and has the loudest conversational voice of any human being ever.  I would be very interested in what you find, but I don't have any answers!

Suzukigirl710
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks guys and I will def. keep you updated.  We don't go back to ped until Tuesday after tgiving.  But will let you know our next step! Thanks agaiN!

Quoting TigerofMu:

My 11 year old has passed every hearing test known to man, but she needs the volume up, always asks us to repeat, and has the loudest conversational voice of any human being ever.  I would be very interested in what you find, but I don't have any answers!

db1au
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Could she have something in her ear.  When my child was 5 she failed a hearing screening at school.  Took her to an ent, she had rocks in her ear.

Suzukigirl710
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:07 AM

What!!! OMG!!! Gives new meaning to "nothing but rocks between the ears"  LOL. 

No the Dr. checked her ears and saw nothing.  I appreciate the support!

Quoting db1au:

Could she have something in her ear.  When my child was 5 she failed a hearing screening at school.  Took her to an ent, she had rocks in her ear.

egyptian_mommy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM
A formal test is a great idea. We recently went through 2 with my 4 year old to rule out a hearing issue (he has a severe speech delay). Anyway, the tests now are great. There are machines that test/measure everything without the child having to do anything and then there are of course the child participation tests that are made age appropriate and fun. I highly suggest finding a Dr who has a lot of experience with kids, it makes it so much easier. I hope you get answers soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)