Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My 4 year old WILL NOT POTTY

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have a 4 year old who refuses to potty. Every morning I go in the bathroom and read to him, play with his super hero toys sing songs and NOTHING. He is holding it now. His teachers at school  say he is ready. I have heard do not pressure him but he is getting too old. I don't know what to do. Please help.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Xandriasmommy
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM
My dd didn't potty train till last month. She's 4.5 years old. It's frustrating but I finally I just stopped trying to get her to do it. Took her to the doctor, got sent to a peds urologist and then a week after that appointment she ran and used the potty totally without prompting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Maybe try just putting him in underwear. Tell him in "7 days you will start wearing underwear and will be using the potty each day because you can't pee and poop in underwear". Make a count down Chart. Read a "potty book" every day ( we loved Once Upon a Potty) each day leading up to the big day. Go pick out underwear together, talk about his big day each day leading up to it and get some super fun rewards to encourage him.  Plan it so you begin with him on the weekend and can work with him for 2 days before he goes to school. We had a "potty party" for each of my boys their first day of full pottying. They knew it was coming on their special day and I made a cake, had balloons and we did a potty dance! There was no going back after that....Good luck!

deedee3849
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Oh...do you have a potty seat for him? We used these and they were nice...we also added a foot stool (child one) so he could put his feet on it for support. 

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Welcome!  At 4 he should be more than ready.  Have you tried the three day method with him?

ardiaxe
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM
No pressure when a child is 2. That's when you give them plenty of naked time and potty chair practice and introduction. At the age of 4 I would have a good talk with him and highly encourage. Get lots of potty books. And make a designated potty time. My 4 yr old holds his poop in. I sat down with him, had a serious talk about the dangers of holding it in and made a designated poop time each day. It worked like a charm. At 4 kids can comprehend so much more. Use that to your advantage.
PrincessZ20
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM

He may just be stubborn and refusing because he feels pressured.  Give it a few days of not pressuring him - you never know, it might make all the difference. 

Good luck! 

sunshine86912
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:23 AM

I am not sure what to tell you, both my girls went on the potty at age 3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)