Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7days of fever and awful congestion

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:02 AM
  • 9 Replies
Has anyones child ever had 7anything days of fever? My 9boys year old has been to docs twice (on day 5and was last time). Both times they say ears and chest are clear and it's a nasty virus. He has lots of congestion and says it is in his throat...hence the coughing. Should i be pushing for antibiotics (or which i hate ) or give this another day or two? This is just the start of day 7. The highest the temp has ever gotten is 101.7 and he has needed none motrin.
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TerriC
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Sounds like my DD. She is finally getting a little better after a week. If she is still congested, dh will take her to the Dr tomorrow.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hollinicole
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Ask for a cheast xray, DD did that when she was little and it turned out to be bronchitis and by day 7 we were in the hospital for 3 days. Her blood work did not even show it till day 8. But now when she even start the cough and fever we go right for the xray and meds. She also never sounds like there is any there but the xray shows it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM

If it's a virus, antibiotics won't do anything.  Did they do any bloodwork to confirm anything?

101.7 really isn't bad.  At this point, since he's gotten the all clear from the doctor, I'd let it go a little longer. If he's still not better in a few days, then I'd go back in. 

Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!

karamille
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Mono is going around here.  Most kids aren't getting the blood test until around 2wks of on/off fevers.  

ulla24
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM

well, he was fever free all day yesterday and then ran a little bit of a temp last night of up to 100.6.  I think this is a good sign.  he coughed a lot more last night but it sounds like it is loosening up.  He said he feels it in his throat..."gump in his throat" as he would say.  Both of my boys get this a time or two a year and I always fear it's in their chest and it never has been so I'm not sure if I should really press for bloodwork and chest xray.  I hate to put him through that if his fever is breaking and he's saying it's in his throat.  Any more thoughts?  Also, I don't think it sounds like mono because he doesn't have the swollen glands.  Just congestion/cough and fever.

hollinicole
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM
is the cought more at night or all day?

Quoting ulla24:

well, he was fever free all day yesterday and then ran a little bit of a temp last night of up to 100.6.  I think this is a good sign.  he coughed a lot more last night but it sounds like it is loosening up.  He said he feels it in his throat..."gump in his throat" as he would say.  Both of my boys get this a time or two a year and I always fear it's in their chest and it never has been so I'm not sure if I should really press for bloodwork and chest xray.  I hate to put him through that if his fever is breaking and he's saying it's in his throat.  Any more thoughts?  Also, I don't think it sounds like mono because he doesn't have the swollen glands.  Just congestion/cough and fever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Yes. My son had a fever and it took the antibiotics 10 days to kick in. So he had a fever for over 10 days. But he had a lot going on too.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM

If it's a virus, the antibiotics wouldn't fight it anyway.  Keep working on that fever if it's above 100.  Let the low grade fever fight the infection.  Humidifier, steam, steamy shower, chicken broth, hot tea...take him back if it's still hanging on, but it sounds like his body is fighting a bad virus.

egyptian_mommy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM
I agree.

Quoting TigerofMu:

If it's a virus, the antibiotics wouldn't fight it anyway.  Keep working on that fever if it's above 100.  Let the low grade fever fight the infection.  Humidifier, steam, steamy shower, chicken broth, hot tea...take him back if it's still hanging on, but it sounds like his body is fighting a bad virus.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)