Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

STOMACH ISSUES----

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son has been complaining lately of his stomach hurting. He is 8 and was on Amoxocillan over a week ago for a sinus infection. We thought it was the Amoxocillan, but it should be out of his system by now. He acts normal, but usually complains in the morning. I thought it was because he didn't want to go to school, but he complained Saturday morning, when there was no school. It usually goes away within a few hours and he says it hurts in the middle, around his belly-button area. When he says it, he says, "I'm not kidding". I think he is doing it to get a reaction out of us, but I don't want to seem unsympathetic. So my question is---Is this a phase? Has anyone else experienced this with their child? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM

ANYONE???? BUMP!!!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Has he been having regular bowel movements?  I make my kids drink water first, then walk for a tummy ache most of the time, and if it's constipation, those strategies will help clear it out.  Beyond that, you just have to start looking at different causes and solutions.

Vertical15
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I'm with Sonja, start looking for the cause.  Does it always happen in the morning or sometimes throughout the day, too?  Maybe he just needs to eat first thing?

NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM

It usually first thing in the morning, but sometimes it does happen in the middle of the day. I am thinking constipation as well, so I have had him drink apple juice. It has been less since he drinks apple juice. I do know for a fact that if he has to poo at school, he will not do it. He will hold it until he gets home. That could be it. You ladies are geniuses. I bet he is trying to hold it too much.

hwifeandmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

The amoxicillin could also mess up his intestinal flora (the healthy bacteria in the gut and intestinal tract, which get killed along with the bad bacteria).  You might try giving him some pro-biotics which will help improve his intestinal flora as well as help with constipation issues. 

db1au
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Could it be acid reflux.  My child had a similar problem for months.  Her doctor prescribed an anti acid, she's better now.

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:43 AM

i'm guessing constipation too...constipation pain will decrease with activity which explains why its intermittent.  plums, peaches, prunes are all good for moving  bowels....if he is stressed, it could make the constipation worse. 

egyptian_mommy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM
The antibiotic can actually affect him for quite a while even after he's done with it. You might also try adding yogurt to his diet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I was going to suggest this as well.  Antibiotics can really mess with your gut flora, and they always say it is a good idea to give kids (and adults) yogurt when they are taking any.  Try a a good brand with lots of live cultures (not things like yoplait)...Stoneyfield has 6 active cultures and is a good option.  

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

The antibiotic can actually affect him for quite a while even after he's done with it. You might also try adding yogurt to his diet.

thanush
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Why don't you just call his pediatrician and get his/her opinion? I wouldn't think a contant stomach ache as a phase... Ask him to describe the pain.. Is it lie a squeezing pain, a pinching one or like a cramp etc.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)