Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Looking for Creative Ways to Keep a 3 Year Old In Her Bed

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 12 Replies

She will not go to sleep in her bed. I have to let her fall asleep on the couch with me and then put her in her bed. Without fail, she will wake up crying uncontrollably and will not stop until she is laying down with me or she will come get in bed with me herself. I am not a SAHM. I have to get up very early and cannot do the "middle of the night dance" with my kids. I must sleep and being up over and over putting her back to bed and listening to her weep and wail just isn't an option. Is there something I can try that I haven't though of?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
busymom64064
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Sorry mama....i dont have this issue. I have never slept with my son..... I put him in his crib from day one because I refuse to go through this situation. Btw, my son is 3 too.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
You are going to be very tired for the week or so it takes to fix this. Don't let her fall asleep on the couch anymore. Set a bed time and start a bedtime routine. Put her in her bed the same time every night and read a story turn the lights off and tell her goodnight and leave. Every time she gets up, put her back to bed. Gently remind her that its time to sleep the first few times putting her back and after that put her back in silence. It will take forever and be exhausting but that's what you have to do, sorry. Good luck and remember to be patient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM

What is her typical bedtime routine?   I would introduce soothing music and white noise like a fan to her room.  When she gets up, you just put her back to her bed silently and walk away even if she is crying.  Many working parents go through this and have sleepless nights.

garnet83
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM

We actually have a pretty good routine up to the point where she won't sleep in her bed. After dinner, they get a bath, I dry their hair, brush their teeth, and put lotion on them and warm pj's. Then we have snuggle time where I hold them, talk to them and sing to them. After a few minutes of that, my 4 year old does great. She takes her blanket, lays down in her bed and goes right to sleep like a champ. But the 3 year old, cries when I try to put her in her bed and since their rooms are right beside each other, I run the risk of her waking up her sister and then I'm stuck with TWO kids that aren't sleeping. So I hold her on the couch til she falls asleep so she doesn't wake up her sister.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What is her typical bedtime routine?   I would introduce soothing music and white noise like a fan to her room.  When she gets up, you just put her back to her bed silently and walk away even if she is crying.  Many working parents go through this and have sleepless nights.

frndlyfn
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM

She definitely knows how to gain your one on one attention.   I would start staggering their bedtimes and perhaps have her lay on the ground in living room rather than you holding her.  Explain those are her 2 options, sleep in her bed or sleep on the floor and mommy cant hold her anymore since mommy needs sleep to be able to work.

Quoting garnet83:

We actually have a pretty good routine up to the point where she won't sleep in her bed. After dinner, they get a bath, I dry their hair, brush their teeth, and put lotion on them and warm pj's. Then we have snuggle time where I hold them, talk to them and sing to them. After a few minutes of that, my 4 year old does great. She takes her blanket, lays down in her bed and goes right to sleep like a champ. But the 3 year old, cries when I try to put her in her bed and since their rooms are right beside each other, I run the risk of her waking up her sister and then I'm stuck with TWO kids that aren't sleeping. So I hold her on the couch til she falls asleep so she doesn't wake up her sister.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Vertical15
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Duct tape, ace bandages, and locks on the doors?  Sorry I had to say it!

Actually my younger two are such a hassle some nights I get so frustrated.  We started a set routine which helps but they still haver their nights that we are constantly coming back in for hugs, kisses, etc.  Hopefully it is just a phase and just keep trying and she will get used to it.

Cafe Amanda
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Try the bedtime pass method! I swear it works. It's amazing.

karamille
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  I was going to suggest duct tape too.  (kidding!)  Yeah, you are going to have to bite the bullet on this one and go thru a bad week.  Maybe over thanksgiving 4 day weekend?  

karamille
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Try the bedtime pass method! I swear it works. It's amazing.

I love Dr Greene.  :) He's my fave celeb ped.  

PrincessZ20
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:59 PM

We used bribery to get Alex to stay in his bed when he was 3 :)  He got a sticker for every night that he stayed in his bed all night, and after a week of staying in his bed he got to pick out a toy.  And by then, the habit had formed and he was good to go! 

Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN