Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Strep

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am just so frustrated. This is the 3rd time that all 3 of my girls' have had strep in a month and half. I'm so tired of it. We go back in 2 weeks when they should be well to re-test them to make sure they are not carriers of "Strep". How many episodes of strep do you have to have before they remove your tonsils? My girls' are 7,6 and 4.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karamille
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its 4 in one calendar year, but they took my sons at 3 episodes because he also had signs of sleep apnea.  Definitely make an appointment with an ENT and see what they say.  

Momto3619
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I'm sure their pedi will recommend that as well. I guess she just wants to see if she can rule anything out herself. Is it wrong of me that I wouldn't mind them getting their tonsils out? I know they have to be mirsable and they've missed more school due to this than what they've been in...

karamille
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I had my tonsils out at 14 due to repeat strep.  I wish we would have done it when I was younger.  Max did have a rough time with the recovery for about 10 days.  I would plan over Christmas break or spring break if you can.  We did ours over fall break which cut a few days off of how much he missed school.  

mckinneymom918
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM
When my daughter had strep repeatedly a few years back, it was 6 in a year. But these episodes may only count as one, since they are so close together- they probably weren't fully over it, the symptoms just returned.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I would see an ENT.

PrincessZ20
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I think with ear infections it's 3-4 in a year before they put tubes in, so my guess would be that tonsils are similar? 

Alex just had his tonsils out a few months ago, but due to sleep apnea. 

egyptian_mommy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Hmm... An ENT visit is probably a good idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunshine86912
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:18 AM

I had it A LOT growing up so they removed mine, plus I had a sleep apnea, but I am not sure how many times I had it over a year

Fields456
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:37 AM
That sucks. And I have no idea. I had my tonsils removed due to strep when I was 7 but I don't remember how many times I had it prior to That and my dd had hers out at 3 because they were swollen and almost blocking her throat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this

you should try boosting their gastro flora with probiotics...chances are good their gut is so stripped of the flora needed to ward off illness, that is why they are getting sick over and over again...amox is hard on the system, and repeated scripts of it can and will strip the gut of beneficial flora that fights infection and viruses.  I have seen too many children suffer like yours are doing, simply because of antibiotics and the body not recovering from them properly. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN