Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Advise please ( 10 year old son with excessive flatulence)

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
  • 21 Replies
Hi moms,
I would think all the gas/flatulence from my 10 year old son was him just being a boy. Now I am concerned,he is so gassy and very offensive smelly. He passes gas excessively. At first I thought could this be behavioral. I am considering taking him to the Dr.,he gets upset and says no. He tells me sorry and excuse me every time it happens. Sometimes, I don,t think he has control to stop.
Should I give him gas x or beano? Is this normal? He doesn't eat fatty,surgery foods either. Any suggestions,advice welcome.
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

What kind of diet does he have?  Perhaps he may need more fiber in his diet not pills.  Perhaps place a call to his doctor while the child is in school and you can see if the doctor feels it is necessary to have an office visit.  How are his bowel movements?

Pink.Frosting
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I really wouldn't take him to the doctor.  I would just use gas x or something.  If you make a big deal out of it,you'll mortify him.

DJAKoala
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM
He has seen a Gastroenterologist in the past for chronic bowel problems. He was on Meralax powder every other day. Then he would have loose stools. The Doctor diagnosed him with IBS,had him do a full bowel cleansing . He never has gas problems though. I thought more fiber would increase gas. I thought Dairy products were the cause, but he had not consumed as much. He eats chicken,beef,pizza,hot dogs,breads,fruit.
I agree,he is embarrassed and when I mention calling the Dr. He gets mad.
Da998
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I have a friend with IBS.  She says that being on a gluten free diet has alleviated her from most of the IBS symptoms she experiences.  I think you should research glutten free diets and cut back on take out foods.  Most take out food is made from overly processe ingredients and irritates IBS (I have heard this).  I do not have IBS so I am not the expert.  Just advising you to research glutten free diet, organic diets and such.  I do believe that when we go back to organic and eat the way were were supposed to eat from the fruits of the earth we can heal ourselves from many things.  I do know too, that it is very expensive (if I could go 100% organic I would).

Da998
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM

When you take him for a yearly physical, speak to the doctor about it and have the doctor talk to him.  It wouldn't hurt and during an annual physical he may not feel like you are picking on him and if you speak to the doctor privately he won't be mortified.  Since he is 10, you can buy him books on IBS.  It will be important for him to be educated on taking care of himself in the future. Below are a few websites for info.  My nephew has crohns disease, a few years ago we were all doing research and I stumbled upon a website for kids with IBS created by kids with IBS who offer each other support.  I can't remember what it was called but if I find it I will add it in another reply.

http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/stomach/ibs.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/334074-kids-diets-for-ibs/

frndlyfn
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Fiber can go either way but when you are gettign enough it causes things to move faster through your bowels and decreases gas.  You may want to reintroduce miralax again every 3 days or something just in case that is the issue.  I have IBS and so many things can set it off but when i eat more fiber it helps lessen the signs.

ZakkarysMom
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Pizza has cheese..dairy. Im lactose intolerant and if i have pizza..wow..it messes with my stomach. Horrible cramps, nausea, and rotten egg smelling gas. TMI yes i know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DJAKoala
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Thank you moms for the advice. I will do more research. DA998 thank you for those links.
We had him tested for Lactose intolerance and Celiac Disease and it was all negative. I can see were not enough Fiber and Cheese products and irritate his stomach. I think I may reintroduce the Miralax. Could be things slowing down again,he doesn't always tell me when he had gone.
Jenn8604
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Id be keeping track of what he eats everyday asking the dr about it. Just cuz Id never want to chance there is something wrong with my kid. Better hearing the dr say oh its just the foods he eats now then later finding out he has some kind of blockage or something seriously wrong.
My friend had a blockage in her intestines at 16 or 17 and her excessive gas passing was something to do w it. She had to get some meds from the er when she went w severe abdominal pains and it made her go she said for almost 2 hrs straight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine86912
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

its something hes eating..you just have to figure out what.   I am very gassy at times too..and just learned barley makes me MORE gassy than ever and it smells aweful LOL  I am not sure its really behavioural..I mean..I cant make my farts smell awful becasue I am mad at someone lol sometimes they just smell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN