Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old complains of burning in mouth after eating salty or acidic foods.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:05 AM
  • 18 Replies

I am looking to see if anyone else has experienced this...

Only recently has my 4 year old begun complaining of her mouth and lips burning after eating salty or acidic foods (ketchup, strawberries, chips). There are no sores, blisters or chapped lips so I am really at a loss for what could be causing this.

Possibly unrelated but she has ALWAYS complained of tummy pain and as of yet we have not discovered the cause of this either.

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smurfbitebug
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:10 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:01 AM

is this something new or did she always do this?  has she been on any medication recently?  or maybe she has hand foot and mouth disease....

mommaFruFru
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM
It *could* be map toung. My 4yo has this. And you can't always see it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HetherElizabeth
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Possibly an allergy? I'm not to sure here's a bump for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erina320
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM

It is a recent thing as in the last 3 months. She has no fever and no obvious sores or blisters. I've never heard of "map tongue" I'll need to look that up.

She has always been sensitive to dairy and it caused severe reflux as an infant. So I was wondering if it could be an allergy. I also wonder if whatever is bothering her tummy, is now manifesting itself as this new mouth burning symptom.

egyptian_mommy
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Has she been eating more of those kinds of foods than normal?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I know if i eat too much salty or acidy foods my mouth will burn or feel weird in general. Has she been eating more then her usual amounts of these foods?

erina320
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:48 AM

No. In fact, she is now not eating foods she normally would because of it.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

She might have some food sensitivities or allergies?

-PB
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Its also called geographic tongue but I don't think geographic tongue effects the lips, only the tongue so that might not be it.  Tell her to stick her tongue out to see if it looks patchy, kinda like a map (hense the name).

Quoting erina320:

It is a recent thing as in the last 3 months. She has no fever and no obvious sores or blisters. I've never heard of "map tongue" I'll need to look that up.

She has always been sensitive to dairy and it caused severe reflux as an infant. So I was wondering if it could be an allergy. I also wonder if whatever is bothering her tummy, is now manifesting itself as this new mouth burning symptom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)