Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Aspergers, no more

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM
  • 70 Replies

Have you heard that APA has officially dropped Aspergers from their manual?  Most people close to the subject have been expecting this change for a while, but it is now official.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57556754/aspergers-syndrome-dropped-from-american-psychiatric-association-manual/

"The familiar "Asperger's," along with some similar disorders, will be lumped together under autism spectrum disorder, "to help more accurately and consistently diagnose children with autism," the APA said in a statement.

Other changes include entries for new disorders such as "hoarding disorder" or "disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD)," the latter characterized by abnormally bad and frequent temper tantrums. "Dyslexia" and other learning disorders that some feared would be removed from the manual, remained."

Do you know anyone previously diagnosed with Aspergers?  Do you fear that these changes will affect their care?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Xandriasmommy
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:16 AM
My dd was recently diagnosed with aspergers...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:19 AM

My nephew was dx with aspergers a couple of years ago. And fromm what Ive been told this whole change will not affect his treatment or care.

PrincessZ20
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Interesting.  I wonder how changing the labels will change things in general.

ZakkarysMom
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM
I never knew hoarding was an actual disorder..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I work with kids with autism. I don't expect it will change it anymore then when they started calling it a spectrum disorder. They are on the spectrum so why not be actually apart if it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sj3starz
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Wouldn't people with Asperger's just go by the more general name of being autistic rather than being dropped from care? As far as I have always been told, Aspergers is a highly functioning form of autism. I personally am not well versed on the subject, (sorry if I made a huge blunder somewhere), but it is why I am asking. 

levsenmommy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

In my state (I'm not sure if it is a national thing or not), Some of the children dx with Asperger's Syndrome have  it on their medical record as a different diagnostic code than Autism Spectrum Disorder.  There are programs and services here that do not cover the diagnostic code for Asperger's but do for Autism.  I'm hoping that this will allow everyone to be universal and using the Autism Spectrum coding that will get them qualified for the services.

At one point some families were worried about the individuals with Asperger's Syndrom not meeting the new criteria and being kicked completely off the Spectrum.  Is that no longer what it looks like?

My son is severe so it doesn't look like anything will change for him, but I'm curious about the ones who are higher functioning which is where my youngest may fall.

Rosehawk
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Just before school started this year, my 9 year old son was diagnosed with Asperger's and ADHD. While I'm still learning about how to help him best, I don't see how lumping him together with other Autism Spectrum children (we have several neighbors that are barely communicative) is going to help him at all.

Seems to me that this will hinder much needed help, not make it easier to get.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

thank god. its about time. i honestly believe that this will affect care for the better. because children with aspergers will be DX'd with high functioning autism instead. and will receive DDD services and other services that they did not qualify for before. 

Sammi20
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I just had to say... Your DD is SO CUTE!!! (your profile picture)

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

My dd was recently diagnosed with aspergers...

CafeMom Tickers
Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)