Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Have you heard that APA has officially dropped Aspergers from their manual?  Most people close to the subject have been expecting this change for a while, but it is now official.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57556754/aspergers-syndrome-dropped-from-american-psychiatric-association-manual/

"The familiar "Asperger's," along with some similar disorders, will be lumped together under autism spectrum disorder, "to help more accurately and consistently diagnose children with autism," the APA said in a statement.

Other changes include entries for new disorders such as "hoarding disorder" or "disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD)," the latter characterized by abnormally bad and frequent temper tantrums. "Dyslexia" and other learning disorders that some feared would be removed from the manual, remained."

Do you know anyone previously diagnosed with Aspergers?  Do you fear that these changes will affect their care?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Replies (31-40):
goodmama85
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM
My ds has aspergers and ADHD ::
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Your nephew sounds like he has had a similar situation as my 22 year old brother in law.  For many years he went to doctor after doctor, everyone agreed there was "something" wrong with him, but did not have a label for it, so he did not qualify for any services.  Once he was dx with aspergers, a whole new world opened up for him.  He was able to stay in school till 21, he qualified to live in a group home better suited to care for him, and when he graduated his group home provided him with a job through their career training program.  

Quoting Mary229:

I have a nephew that has been diagnosed with Aspergers.  I don't think it will have an effect on the care he receives.  Back when my brother and his wife realized something was wrong (27 or so years ago) the doctors didn't have a name for it.  They finally slapped this label on him somewhere down the line, after doing many tests and debating about various labels for different disorders.  He is the way he is, and he will remain that way regardless of what some professional decides to call it.  Regardless, he will continue to qualify for state aid because he is unable to function in society on his own.  At least all of the doctors can agree on that point.

outstandingLove
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

My brother has Aspergers but the lady diagnosed him with ASD so that he could services. Most people with Aspergers or PDD-NOS can't get services or there is very little out there for them even tho they are on the spectrum and do need the services. A straight diagnosis of ASD is a good thing, imo.

JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I've been told my son will likely be diagnosed with aspergers as he gets older and easier to diagnose but I'm not sure what it will mean for him.

Givemefive
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Yes, I do know someone and the someone is me and I'm not a kid. It seems to me that lumping so many things together will make it harder for others to know what your issues are.

To explain: It is a difference in the way we think. Social situations are difficult. We have trouble reading people. We also sometimes talk too much or say things that are not appropriate. One guy in the adult group I attend says  private things about himself that others would know to keep private.  We move slower than others which can make a job difficult. Some adults with Asperger's do live alone.This is just a short explanation. There is more to it.

It is hard to have Asperger's and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and have a child with Autism, OCD and ADHD.

Jessica198027
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM

My oldest son since he was at least 4 yrs old.

FrumpyMama
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

There are some people I know who have it.  I don't know if it's a good thing or not that it's just being all lumped together.  There is such a stigma with Autism that I'm sure there are going to be cases where people might not be hired (hypothetically of course) because they have Autism written on their application.  Guess we'll have to see where this goes I guess..

Jenn8604
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

it will now be under HFA instead.

emarin77
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

thank god. its about time. i honestly believe that this will affect care for the better. because children with aspergers will be DX'd with high functioning autism instead. and will receive DDD services and other services that they did not qualify for before. 

mrssmitley1210
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM

My daughter was diagnosed with aspergers. She doesnt get any care though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN