Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Have you heard that APA has officially dropped Aspergers from their manual?  Most people close to the subject have been expecting this change for a while, but it is now official.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57556754/aspergers-syndrome-dropped-from-american-psychiatric-association-manual/

"The familiar "Asperger's," along with some similar disorders, will be lumped together under autism spectrum disorder, "to help more accurately and consistently diagnose children with autism," the APA said in a statement.

Other changes include entries for new disorders such as "hoarding disorder" or "disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD)," the latter characterized by abnormally bad and frequent temper tantrums. "Dyslexia" and other learning disorders that some feared would be removed from the manual, remained."

Do you know anyone previously diagnosed with Aspergers?  Do you fear that these changes will affect their care?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Replies (51-60):
TonyaLea
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM

No, the APA manual gives diagnostic criteria for many different types of disorders, dyslexia is one of them, in addition to autism.  

Quoting Dominosmommy:

Wait. Dyslexia is a form of Austism??

Dominosmommy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Oh. Okay 

Quoting TonyaLea:

No, the APA manual gives diagnostic criteria for many different types of disorders, dyslexia is one of them, in addition to autism.  

Quoting Dominosmommy:

Wait. Dyslexia is a form of Austism??

I have a dream that one day I will be judged not by my appearance but by the content of my character  -Martin Luther King Jr

lucasmadre
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM

What about the Aspergers foundation? What about all the books and research.? What about the adults who have been thinking of themselves as aspergian?

The medical profession does this all the time, like a pendulum swinging... what is the point? My son has aspergers, the description best fits him and I plan on continuing to use it.

ericahager2005
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Both my kids are high functioning autism......just goes to show no 2 asd kids are exactly alike its a way to find better treatments or more customized tx were fortunate to have a great neuro who specializes in asd (autism, adhd, and epilepsy) and who tries dietary and natural remedies b4 med whenever possible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
philipmommy4834
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM

My son is diagnosed with autism but he is very high functioning.  He is still too young for an aspergers diagnosis and did have a speech delay (but has caught up).  I am hoping that making everything autism will take some of the stigma away.  (like every parent hopes its just aspergers) 

Anoronlight
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM

My daughter was recently diagnosed with PDD:NOS as it has been explained to me, PDD:NOS, Aspergers, etc will no longer be the correct term. It will change any child's ability to receive the care they have been getting. Instead their "label" will be ASD: Autism Spectrum Disorder. It's just lumped under one term, instead of four or five. Which makes it so much easier in the long run really.

kngarber
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM

My youngest brother was diagnosed with a mild form.  I don't know all the details.  He is just a little quiet and socially awkward, but very smart and amazingly kind and sweet.  I don't think this will change anything with him, but I am not sure.  He's a sophomore now.

aimers6
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM
We have been waiting almost a year for a diagnosis. I hope the autism center will still call and tell us what to do next or instead.
Cemommster
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Interesting.  I wonder how changing the labels will change things in general.

Exactly.  I don't get why the change is happening.

egyptian_mommy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM
I heard about this a while back. I think it may help some people understand it better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN