Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Have you heard that APA has officially dropped Aspergers from their manual?  Most people close to the subject have been expecting this change for a while, but it is now official.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57556754/aspergers-syndrome-dropped-from-american-psychiatric-association-manual/

"The familiar "Asperger's," along with some similar disorders, will be lumped together under autism spectrum disorder, "to help more accurately and consistently diagnose children with autism," the APA said in a statement.

Other changes include entries for new disorders such as "hoarding disorder" or "disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD)," the latter characterized by abnormally bad and frequent temper tantrums. "Dyslexia" and other learning disorders that some feared would be removed from the manual, remained."

Do you know anyone previously diagnosed with Aspergers?  Do you fear that these changes will affect their care?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Replies (61-70):
queencreekmom
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM

My ds 11 has aspergers. I am not sure how I feel about this.

mamalove1023
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Apparently is will only help people...not hurt. Those that have the dx will now just have the dx of ASD which in many cases open up many more doors for them esp in the school system.  Personally, I like the change. Too many different names makes it confusin for people.

amazzonia
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

WHen I was little it was just called "different personalities". As thou believe in autism and that autistic kids should be helped as much as possible, now is becoming redicoulus, everyone has some kind of autism, frequent tantrums autism? That's just a spoiled child! Hoarding disorder? Again, teach your child to clean his room! Enough is enough! 

kinshipcaremama
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM
My son was dx'ed with Aspergers in1998. Back then it was still considered rare. I like the change. I think it will weed out some of the kids who are "very high functioning" and "mild". I think Aspergers is over diagnosed so SOME people could loose services but probably not the ones who really need them.
pony1985
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Ihave a grandson  that has not been diagnosed yet, but they suspect aspergers and he needs alot of help. Mostly with severe temper out breaks and focusing on things. Acidemically he is above his age group. Ineed to know what services there is available.

Dezinemom03
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM

The Aspergers diagnoses are at epidemic rate.  Have we asked ourselves why?

www.basicsuport.org

Imjustinsmommy
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I think it's a good thing as far as recieving services. Autism gets many services so it will be covered under that dx. The only thing I can see effected is if the parent or child is bothered to say they have autism since its known to be more severe.. People are effected by what label is put on them sometimes. I think it's great they added more hoarding I'd think would fall under OCD and anxiety disorders but it us a disorder.

lancet98
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I think that the change will improve things for those with aspergers, actually.

lancet98
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Partly because there is no better fit diagnosis for some kids than aspergers - that is being addressed and is changing.

With any disorder, it is going to go through a period of over-diagnosis, so some overdiagnosis is regrettably a part of things.

Quoting Dezinemom03:

The Aspergers diagnoses are at epidemic rate.  Have we asked ourselves why?

www.basicsuport.org

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM

It seems like by officially getting on the "spectrum" it would be easier to get treatment.....no?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN