Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Have You Ever Had Something Like This Happen To Your Child?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

Teacher Makes Students Pay to Use Bathroom & 'Broke' 7-Year-Old Wets His Pants (VIDEO)

Posted by Mary Fischer

bathroom

You know when you hear a story in the news that makes you so irate you really don't know whether to scream, cry, or do a combination of both? Well, that's how I felt after hearing about a 7-year-old boy who wet his pants because his teacher made kids pay to use the bathroom -- and he didn't have enough "money." Yes, this really happened.

(OMG. I seriously need to take a deep breath before going any further.)

When Sonja Cross' second-grade son came home from school in tears, she learned that he'd asked his teacher to use the restroom, and she'd refused, because he did not have any "Boyd Bucks" to pay for the trip.

Sonja then explained, "He tried to hold it as much as he could, but he just couldn’t." (I'm tearing up.)

The poor little boy wound up peeing his pants, and now he's being continuously teased by his classmates in addition to his initial embarrassment.

Apparently the children are permitted to take three scheduled bathroom breaks a day, and if they need to go again, they must fork over two "Boyd Bucks," which are basically credits she gives to the kids as a reward for good behavior.

Take a look at this video clip to hear more about what happened, and to see the lengths Sonja has gone to in order to make sure this doesn't happen to her son or any other student again.

VIDEO HERE

Ok, as soon as I calm down and stop wanting to strangle that teacher, I'd like to reach out and give that poor mom a huge hug -- because I know how she feels.

Last year when my son was in Kindergarten, we had a similar incident at school that had me so irate, I literally thought I was going to rip someone's head off.

He was in one of his weekly elective classes, and he asked his teacher repeatedly if he could use the bathroom, and was told "no" many times over again. He decided to ask one last time out of sheer desperation, and when the teacher noticed he was holding himself "down there," he finally agreed to let him go, but not without basically calling him a liar straight to his face.

Even typing this brings out my inner rage. The teacher looked at my 6-year-old son and said, "You're the boy who cried wolf. Next time I'm not letting you go."

And I'm sure you can only imagine my reaction (not to mention my husband's) after he came home and told us what had happened.

Long story short, the teacher called both of us, and we both lit him up like a Christmas tree, and then we had a meeting with the principal, who assured us our son would be permitted to use the restroom anytime he needs to from that point forward -- and that the teacher mishandled the situation. (Yeah, ya think?)

Not gonna lie, to this day, I still want to slug that stupid teacher every time I see him. (AssH%&@.)

He should be ashamed of himself, as should the teacher in Texas who made her students pay to relieve themselves.

Come to think of it, forbidding kids to go to the bathroom unless they pay up sounds like a form of torture to me. She should really be fired, or at least be given the same punishment to teach her a much-needed lesson.

Have you ever had something like this happen to your child? What did you do about it?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HetherElizabeth
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM
That is just unreal I would be livid. I feel terrible for these kids, when you gotta go you gotta go especially when they are still that young.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IQuitCounting
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Uh, refusing to allow a child to use the restroom when they need to falls under child abuse and neglect.  Ridiculous.  I would be livid if a teacher did that to my son.

Jade89
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM
I would be furious!

My son's teacher told him he could not go to the bathroom once because be wouldn't ask in French... I had a talk with her... It never happened again!

Also I told my son if he has to use the restroom and is told no to get up and go anyway!

This teacher is wrong on so many levels! Why would a child need to "pay" to relieve themselves?
melschlegs
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Absolutely horrifying. If that happened to my son I would certainly press the issue until that teacher was punished somehow. That is neglect!
batjmom
by Sarah on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Oh I would be very angry!  This is absolutelyterrible.    Sounds like its not only kids that can be bully's but teachers.   Terrible 

Vertical15
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM

This has never happened to us but if it did I would be livid!

Vertical15
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I understand needing the kids' attention for the day and having set amount of bathroom breaks but what I think they don't factor in is that the set amount of bathroom times are set at certain times as well.  The kids are expected to go at certain times and as adults we know you can't force nature and plan ahead with these kinds of things.  Some expectations are just unreal.

TerriC
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM
When my oldest DD was in kindergarten, she was in the cafeteria waiting to be released to recess. She raised her hand and the teacher in charge that day asked what she needed. She asked to use the restroom and was told no. They made the kids dot in the cafeteria because not "everyone" would settle down. She asked again and was told no. She came home that day very upset. She told me the story and I wrote her teacher a note letting him know what the other teacher had done and explained her medical issues with the bathroom and when she asks, she HAS to go. That teacher gave the note yo the Principal who then gave it to the teacher I reported. That teacher approached my DD and asked why she lied. I was livid. She is still teaching and my DD is in 3rd grade now and this teacher would stare her down in the hallway. I had a teacher friend of mind let her know "nicely" that if she didn't leave my daughter alone there would be hell to pay. She has lightened up a bit.
PrincessZ20
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

That's just sad.  I'd be so mad if that happened to my kid! 

For all the teacher knows, the kid has a medical condition that necessitates frequent trips to the bathroom.

PrincessZ20
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Quoting Vertical15:

I understand needing the kids' attention for the day and having set amount of bathroom breaks but what I think they don't factor in is that the set amount of bathroom times are set at certain times as well.  The kids are expected to go at certain times and as adults we know you can't force nature and plan ahead with these kinds of things.  Some expectations are just unreal.

Yes, excellent points. 

I can see that some children could abuse bathroom priviledges as well, but if it's not a regular thing then why would you assume the kid is lying about needing to go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN