Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Tonsil Surgery

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

I got the surgery date for my daughters Tonsil Removal  I am scared outta my mind and my heart is in my ass. Its happening Dec 27th. Two days after christmas which sucks but I am getting it done and over with. 

If any of you moms who had to get their childs tonsils removed have any feed back please let me know.

How was it after the surgery? How long did it take to heal? After they are remove is there a follow appt?

The night before the surgery what are the dos and don'ts? I need to be prepared for this and their not going to let me know everything before the day of so I wanna know now so that If I need to go out and buy certain things I can have what ever it is before hand. 

After all of this I am having a tonsil party for her with close friends and family to cheer her up she is excited for that but not a happy camper for the surgery I explained it to her the best that I can. And every day she thinks tomorrow is the day. 

Moms I need your help pleace let me know anything that you know. Ive done my research but it doesn't hurt to know more from moms who have been there and done that already :0)

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't stress and hey, at least its after Christmas! 

My kids haven't had them out but I did.  It was only sore for a couple of days.  I remember enjoying popsicles greatly!  I don't recall a followup appt but I did have to go to the Er the night after they were removed.  I spit up a blood clot and it freaked my mom out.  All was well though!

izzysmom1009
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM
My daughter had hers out. She was 3. It's a rough week after surgery. But so worth it!! She sleeps much better breathes better too. How old is you child?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
izzysmom1009
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Oh the gas to put her to sleep before the surgery was very traumatic. I'm scarred by it. It's very scary for them. And heartbreaking to see. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I had my tonsils out when I was 4 (1965) and I survived.  I remember I had a sore throat and I asked the doctor if I could have some peanuts.

PrincessZ20
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

My 5 year old had his tonsils and adenoids out in August.  We kept him out of school for a week (he had them out on a Monday and he went back the following Monday) - and of that, I think that really, it was just the first 2-3 days that were bad.  The worst part was the pain medication - he didn't like how it made him feel (it was a hydrocodone syrup), and he fought taking it.  We were told to be sure to stay on top of doses because once he's in pain, it's harder to get back under control, so we'd wake him up at night to dose him - and those were miserable for both of us...I'm pretty sure we both cried every time, lol.  Luckily we were able to stop after 2 nights and just give him a dose right before bed and again as soon as he woke up.  I wish we had switched to Tylenol sooner than we did!

He went for a follow up appointment 6 weeks later. 

PrincessZ20
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Have you thought about doing a countdown to help her figure out when it is?  Maybe circle the date on a calendar and have her mark off one day each day?  That may help ease her mind about when the actual surgery is :)

karamille
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Max had his done at the end of october.  I won't lie... the first week is ROUGH.  I told Max before the surgery that he HAD TO eat and drink afterwards, so he knew I would be asking him to.  The more they eat in drink, the better they are because it keeps the scabs from getting big and thick.  Max had a really sensitive gag reflux so he was gagging on the scabs when he swallowed, so he puked a lot.  WE did end up calling in to the ENT and he put him on Zofran which helped a lot.  IF she struggles with nausea, don't hesitate to call in and ask for something to help with that.  I wish I would have called over hte weekend instead of waiting until monday.  It would have made our weekend much better.  The nurse at the surgery center had only written him out 4 days because she didn't want him to miss the halloween.  (seriously.)  When I called the ENT and told him there was no way Max was ready to go back at day 4 he said he should have been written out 7 days minimum - 10 days is average.  He was looking much by day 7 but it was a friday so we kept him home and let him rest up since he hadn' been sleeping well.  When monday rolled he was good to go.  

We typically do not let our kids drink anything but water, but that rule was off the table after having his tonsils out.  HE could drink anything he wanted.  WE went back and forth between berry rain gaterade and sprite. He needed to keep his blood sugar up and even with drinking all those calories, he still lost a couple of pounds.  

We are over a month out, and we are soo glad we did it.  Even though it was a sucky first week (day 2-5 were the worst), he is sleeping so much better.  I'm glad we didn't wait any longer to do them - I wish we would have done it when he was a little younger so he didn't have to miss any school.  Good luck.  You will both do fine!  

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

group hug

bizkit_fanky
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Dd still has hers...I had mine taken out as a child and it was rough ...

AsAlwaysJacKiie
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM

@IzzysMom1009 I am terrifed of the gas thats what has my heart in my ass and I can't stop thinking about ...Even now thinking about it once again I am choked up :0( My daughter is 5 I know I am going to balling outta control with tears I am just like that period I'm every emtional even when it comes to certain tv shows and movies its a horrible habbit LOL I know aslong as my mom/her grandma is there with me I might be ok i rather just have it all over and done with already and waiting to the day is not making it any easier for me but i have to be strong for her. 

@Karamille I will be sure to have lots of liquids in this house I don't want my baby girl to going through pain its that and the putting her to sleep with gas that has my mind running wild she won't be missing school because they will be on winter break so thats a good thing ....I will be having a lil party for her to bring her spirit back to life with lots of candy bags snacks of her choice and lots of ices ....I just hope its going to be a smooth sailing and I just hope everything works out for the best ... 

@PrincessZ20 thats not a bad idea thanks ...maybe i will do that and since we live in new york city i think these next two weekends ill take her out to go see the tree in the city and santa so her mind is off it 

thanks ladies your input means a lot to me and I will surely keep you updated feel free to add me if you like :0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN