Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

2013 class time to increase by hundreds of hours...what do you think?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM
  • 38 Replies

Five states were to announce Monday that they will add at least 300 hours of learning time to the calendar in some schools starting in 2013.  Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York and Tennessee will take part in the initiative, which is intended to boost student achievement and make U.S. schools more competitive on a global level.

Did you know our Education Secretary, Arne Duncan, suggested schools should be open six or seven days per week and should run 11 or 12 months out of the year?

What do you think about the extended school hours?  What would you think about public schools going to a longer week, or longer year?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I think children would benefit from year round school with shorter breaks than the traditional 9-10 months in school and a big lump break for summer.  Our district for this state has one of the most days for school year.

Vertical15
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I'm all for it.  I like the year round schooling plans though I'm not too fond of the longer week maybe they could break it up differently like have off Sunday and Wednesday?  Anything to try something new.

When my oldest did cyber school last year he did less overall hours but more days.  He would usually have a four hour school day and then also do work on Saturdays.  If he was behind he would work more, and if we had plans for a certain day he would work more then day before and the day after.

TonyaLea
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I really don't like the 6 or 7 day a week idea, that is cutting into our family time, in my opinion.  On weekends we are often out visiting family, hiking, snowboarding, playing at the park...when would you do that kind of stuff if kids were in school 7 days per week?

Increasing class time could also have its dopwnfalls depending on how they are going to do it.  Longer days woult interfer with afterschool activities.  More days/year would be better.

The year round schooling I could see as beneficial...maybe only a month break between school years instead of 3 months?  That would allow for summer family trips.

TerriC
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM
I would not be happy with my kids going to school 6-7 days a week. That is my time with them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mhmomma
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I think 6-7 days is a little too much.  Longer school year fine but that is enough.  No need to cut into the weekends.  Kids do need a little break.

SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM
6-7 days is too much, in my opinion. As for the year round...Im not sure how I feel about that. Mixed feelings, I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM
I would love longer school days! Atm we only get 8 weeks off, maybe 9 for summer break, 10 school days for winter break, and one week each for fall and spring.. our fdos is Aug 7th last May 25, for this current year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I have mixed feelings.  I think that as it is, a 6-8 hour day is really long for younger kids.  Add in another full day of that, and when's their down time?  Also, I know in some places they've gotten rid of recess and stuff like that in order to squeeze in more "learning" time - but I think it's important to let them blow off a little steam.

I'm all for more education, though.  I wouldn't be opposed to year round schooling though - give 4-6 weeks off in the summer instead of 10, or that kind of thing. 

PrincessZ20
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Quoting TonyaLea:

I really don't like the 6 or 7 day a week idea, that is cutting into our family time, in my opinion.  On weekends we are often out visiting family, hiking, snowboarding, playing at the park...when would you do that kind of stuff if kids were in school 7 days per week?

Increasing class time could also have its dopwnfalls depending on how they are going to do it.  Longer days woult interfer with afterschool activities.  More days/year would be better.

The year round schooling I could see as beneficial...maybe only a month break between school years instead of 3 months?  That would allow for summer family trips.

I agree, great points!

karamille
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Childhood is short.  We are forcing too much on our kids how it is.  We are ranked 17th in the world for Math and Science.  Clearly what we are doing isn't working.  More of the same isn't going to work any better.  Finland has the top schools in the world and their program is exactly opposite from ours.  Over an hour of recess a day and no standardized testing (and they pay their teachers almost as much as their drs).  We have education all wrong...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)