Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Room Design Ideas

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM
  • 38 Replies

I am so excited!  We ripped out all the old walls and insulation and put in the new windows.  The old closet is gone, giving about 3 more feet of space to the room, and the carpet is in and waiting at the store.  We've got tons and tons of ideas for the walls/shelves, but I keep thinking of things to add!  

I'd love to get some input/ideas from all of you.  There won't be any furniture per se in the room.  We will have two window bench seats, and a soft, fuzzy carpet and rug.  We'll probably use a cushy stool or a couple of body type pillows so that there's room for everyone.  

One wall is going to be the music wall.  The guitars will hang at the top, and the amps and other equipment will stack on the shelves below.  We were thinking of hanging a small flat screen in the middle of the wall, with a DVD player and room for a computer to hook up to the screen as well.

The other three walls are all shelves.  Book shelves, stuff shelves, a shelf for my record player...space to put the bill box so it doesn't have to hide in my closet, room for board games.  We will have space under the window seats, but I was thinking of just making them open front shelves instead of having to dig from the top.  What are some of your ideas?  

I will share pictures of what we have so far, and some of the idea doodling we've done (those are all in my class notebook, so I'll have to wait till it comes back home to share).  

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

This is how old our house is.  

I found a 1953 Newspaper ad for this stuff.  And it was featured in a 1952 Model Home...Even found a listing from 1949.  (Our house was built in the 1940's, or maybe even the 30's).

http://books.google.com/books?id=WdkDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA73&lpg=PA73&dq=when+was+Gold+Bond+Rock+Wool+made?&source=bl&ots=YcHjxKKOGo&sig=J4y283bFL6pvGeqrEG57GI8GslQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qwLCUMz8C5TOyAHgvYAg&ved=0CHYQ6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q=when%20was%20Gold%20Bond%20Rock%20Wool%20made%3F&f=true

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

We will be replacing this light and painting the ceiling!

TonyaLea
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM
2 moms liked this

My parents found old newspapers in a wall of their house when they were remodeling one of the last rooms...they bought an old 1910 farm house when I was 5 (25 years ago), and have slowly redone it top to bottom.  They also found some other neat things like medicine bottles, an old paper doll, and a few other things I can't remember.  Anyway, I had to share this photo I have had pinned on pinterest for quite a while...my dream window seat:

My dream spot

TonyaLea
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

another reading room idea:

Pinned Image

TonyaLea
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

under bench storage

window seat, I almost feel like using expidit bookcakes from IKEA, on their side, all along the window wall in the living room.  Would have to figure out how to vent the air around them.  But, it would be great for the living room, a seat, but also shelving for toys and such.

TonyaLea
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

more under bench open storage

Window Seat

sunshine86912
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

awesome!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Before...well, after we'd taken the fold out bed out of that empty space back there.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I love this!  This is kind of what I had in mind.  

Quoting TonyaLea:

more under bench open storage

Window Seat

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM

That is so neat.  I absolutely love this dream window seat!

Quoting TonyaLea:

My parents found old newspapers in a wall of their house when they were remodeling one of the last rooms...they bought an old 1910 farm house when I was 5 (25 years ago), and have slowly redone it top to bottom.  They also found some other neat things like medicine bottles, an old paper doll, and a few other things I can't remember.  Anyway, I had to share this photo I have had pinned on pinterest for quite a while...my dream window seat:

My dream spot

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN