Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this upset/irritate you? (ot)

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
So my bil moved here from Egypt last week and is living with us. The first thing is that he started telling my 2 year old dd to say she doesn't love Mommy & Daddy, only her Uncle. Dh doesn't like this either but hasn't said anything. Today we got in my van to go pick up the boys from school and dd, ds and I had been listening to Daughtry this morning. Dh doesn't like that kind of music which is fine, he's entitled to his own tastes. But then he tells bil it's bad. Now, my kids all LOVE Daughtry, even my 2 year old will ask for it. So she was all happy when it started playing and she was dancing in her carseat and having fun. Dh and bil start telling her to stop dancing and she should only dance to Arabic music. Dh starts messing with it trying to turn it off and bil goes so far as to tell dd she's a bad girl and not to talk to him. They think they're being funny but dd doesn't understand this of course and is looking at me all confused trying to figure out why they're saying this. Seriously it went on for 15 minutes. Of course I'm telling her she isn't bad and to keep dancing etc. I said something to dh and he thinks I'm just being pissy and basically said I'm being riduculous. I don't think I am. I think they took it too far based on my dd's reaction and the fact that it's ridiculous to tell her she's a bad girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be pissed.  If your BIL can't be respectful toward you and respect your rules and routines with your kids, then he shouldn't be there.  And your DH should have absolutely backed you.  If he disagreed, then he needed to talk to you about it, privately, but he should absolutely never disrespect you or put you down, and he should definitely not gang up against you!

mhmomma
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM
I would be very pissed off. He has no right to be disrespectful. He is living in your home with your family. I would speak to hubby and say he lives by the house rules or he leaves. It's your family first. Good lick
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I would be upset.  And I agree with the previous posts.

karamille
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I would not take kindly to someone pissing with my kids and making them uncomfortable for their own amusement.  

TonyaLea
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I would be upset.  Fr the music, if they were serious I would be concerned. If they were joking, they need to understand a 2 year old doesn't understand sarcasm and was really upset that they thought she was doing something bad...which is just mean, in my opinion.  

For the BIL telling her to say she doesn't like her parents, I would be really upset that he was teaching my DD to be disrespectful.

sunshine86912
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:38 AM

yes!

PrincessZ20
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I agree, he's crossing a line.  Too many grown ups don't understand that kids don't get that kind of humor.

And I don't ever tell my kids they're bad - they make bad choices or do bad things, but they are not bad kids. 

TerriC
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That would have made me MAD as hell.  You're not being pissy, they're being doody heads!  LOL

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM
I would be pissed too...that was very rude of your BIL and was harsh to do to a 2 yr old..
egyptian_mommy
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM
I feel better since reading the replies. It's good to know it isn't me 'acting ridiculous'.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)