Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Melatonin

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM
  • 17 Replies
Have you used it for yourself or your kids? As most of you know my 4 year old is SN. One of his...quirks? Issues? whatever is that he does not sleep well. He often has a hard time settling down to sleep and he has a hard time staying asleep. He's tired. Now that he's going to school not sleeping well has caught up with him. He climbed in my lap the other day and was so upset. When I asked why he said because he has a hard time sleeping. :-( Idk what to do. I'm not one to immediately jump to giving a kid something, but he needs rest.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrincessZ20
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I've taken melatonin myself and haven't had any problems with it, but I do sometimes have a harder time waking up depending on how long it's been since I took it.  However, I'm pretty sensitive to sleep aids of any sort. 

I have friends whose kids take it for similar issues and it's been a help.  I think the make a liquid version that's easier for kids to take, but I don't know what the appropriate dosage is. 

Good luck!!

Xandriasmommy
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:04 AM
My dd pedi recommended it because Allie commonly doesn't fall asleep till midnight even though she is put to bed much earlier and she gets up during the night frequently. He told me its not uncommon for kids on the spectrum to have problems.

I haven't tried it yet. I'm trying other stuff first. Then I will go to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

My dad takes it.  He is kinda an insomniac, and it has done wonders for him and it is suppose to be safe and non-addictive.  He takes it a half hour before bed and says he can usually fall right asleep, and usually stay asleep.  I have heard about kids taking it, I think it is worth asking your doctor about.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

batjmom
by Sarah on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:11 AM
I have not taken it. So I'm not familiar with how well it would work
mhmomma
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I use it myself.  I have noticed that I have very funky dreams when I do take it.  Other then that it just helps me to settle down to sleep.

TerriC
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Same here.

Quoting batjmom:

I have not taken it. So I'm not familiar with how well it would work

Vertical15
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I've never used it but my mom does every night.  She has trouble staying asleep still though.

egyptian_mommy
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to ask the dr.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Linz0522
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM
My almost 4 year old was having sleep problems and was out if control. His dr recommended it and we used a very small dose and within 30 minutes he was asleep and he slept soundly all night and is so much better. We have eased off of it and he now sleeps great. The dr said it would help him get into a good sleep routine.....it helped him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I have heard that it is safe for children. They often prescribe it for children who have ADHD and have a hard time falling asleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)