Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ever heard of Impetigo?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM
  • 31 Replies

I'v never heard of this before, but apparently my son has been exposed to it at school. I googled it and its a highly contagious bacterial skin infection. Basically they're body sores. o.O Anyone know anything about it?

----- "I totally take back all those times I didn't nap when I was younger"
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moosesmom
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM
I am not apart of this group but I saw your post "advertised". Pardon me for jumping in. My son had it when he was in daycare :-/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy111405
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM
They look kinda like pimples, it's mainly spread from mucus. My niece got it when we both had strep. You need antibiotics
MrsNewman
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Is it as bad as it sounds? 

Quoting moosesmom:

I am not apart of this group but I saw your post "advertised". Pardon me for jumping in. My son had it when he was in daycare :-/

----- "I totally take back all those times I didn't nap when I was younger"
moosesmom
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Ok. I gave you the wrong info. My son had a staph infection which can lead to impetigo. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. It's HIGHLY contagious. It started at the corner of his mouth and grew from there. It was pretty nasty looking. It was serious enough for the doctor to make a house call (which no one does anymore, I'm sure).

My cousin did have impetigo. And from what my mother says, it is that bad. Oozing, puss, crusty etc...

Quoting MrsNewman:

Is it as bad as it sounds? 

Quoting moosesmom:

Nathans_mom0612
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM
I had it. It was awful it was itchy and painful. I had it on my mouth and i couldnt drink from the bubbler. ..i had to bring my own little cup to use.

Edit: i was in 2nd grade

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM

yes i've had it....they look like chicken pox...very contagious too...it's a staph infection, and this bacteria are literally everywhere.  

MrsNewman
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

yuck. im just hoping he didn't pick it up! 

joshlor2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM
My son had it in preschool. We had to use some super antibiotic ointment on it. I had to use a q-tip to put it on. No one else in the house got it.
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

It is a bacterial infection of the skin.  Usually around the nose and mouth.  Though it can show up anywhere as pimples, sores and a honey colored crust.  You should see a Dr if you have the sores for more then three days.  There is ointment and/or oral antibiotics for it.

My 4yo had it as an infant-he had a bad diaper rash and must have picked it up in the gym child care (we guessed)  I don't remember how long it took to go away but we used the ointment to clear it up.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I have had impetigo, which I picked up at school.  I don't remember much other than it is important to keep it clean and not to touch it.  Wash your hands thoroughly if you do.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)