Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you surprised they are changing school lunches again?

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM
  • 15 Replies

The government, responding to criticism that their new lunch program rules left kids hungry, will do away with the new daily/weekly limits on meat and grains  They will, however, still have to stick to the daily/weekly calorie maximums. 

http://www.komonews.com/news/health/182687691.html

What do you think about the changes?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM

It is a hard balancing act.

sunshine86912
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:46 AM
1 mom liked this

hahaha have you ever looked at a school lunch plate?  I thought it was amusing (like ironic) that the KINDER kids get the exact same amount at the 6th graders at our school.  really?!  bigger kids should equal more food I thought! I could see where they would still be hungry!  but then the kinder kids NEVER get to finish..they have 20 minutes to eat..and eat slow..while the 6th graders scarf it down lol

batjmom
by Sarah on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:59 AM

It needs work.. I'm happy that they made some changes but the older kids need more food.   1st and 2nd graders should not be getting the same amount as 6th and 7th graders.   My kids still take a snack because they get hungry during the day and they take their lunch. 

sunshine86912
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

you know, I dont remember getting snacks growing up past K-1st grade..but with subbing...I see kids all the way up to 6th grade that still have a snack time! lol  but when I interned in 2nd grade there was NO snack!  I think snack time is great..plus it keeps your metablism up!  what dr tells you to NOT eat 5-6 small meals a day?  IE breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks!

Quoting batjmom:

It needs work.. I'm happy that they made some changes but the older kids need more food.   1st and 2nd graders should not be getting the same amount as 6th and 7th graders.   My kids still take a snack because they get hungry during the day and they take their lunch. 

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I'm not surprised.  Its going to take some tweaking.  Not all school have the ability to make the changes.  It sad and tough.

My biggest complaint for my son is that he doesn't have time to eat.  He says half the time he has to throw food away because lunch is over.  I know he is a slow eater anyway but I don't want him feeling rushed to stuff something in his mouth.

Nolanzo
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My friend has a kinder, a 4th, a 6th, and an 8th and yep they all get the same serving size. The younger two don't have enough time (although this is a learned behavior... they are very distracted and eat painfully slowly) and the other two come home acting as if they haven't eaten since july. I've been staying with them for extended holidays and this is how her kids come home from school... everyone makes a beeline for the kitchen upon arrival.

Definitely needs a more custom approach to body sizes and caloric requirements.

This is the biggest reason my son never bought school lunch. I always knew exactly what and how much he was eating... they put their scraps back in their lunch bag and brought them home rather than tossing leftovers at school so I could monitor his intake.

Call me controlling, but I appreciated this :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM

The changes made at my kids school did not make me happier about letting them buy lunch at all.  Thankfully they do not mind me packing their lunch everyday.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I agree with the discussion about portion sizes.  There are kids who are starving, and little kids who barely eat anything.  I always kept snacks around for my kids, because they were invariably hungry, and kids can't learn when their little tummies are growling.  Plus, in the communities where I taught, they couldn't afford their own snacks and lunch (and breakfast once we had it) were probably the only meals they got that day.

karamille
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Since the calories of the milk count towards the meal's calorie count,  I would rather them feed them a full 500 calories, give them water to drink, and a calcium chew on the side.  500 calories is a decent sized meal, if you are drinking water.  But less than 400 calories gets much harder to put a decent meal together.  

egyptian_mommy
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM
It does need some work. I agree about portion size.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)