Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Take it or leave it: Toddler Leashes

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 51 Replies

I am apparently not the only person in our little group of offices that brings my child to work.  I am currently looking out my office window at the grassy area in front of our building, and a lady is "walking" what looks like her grandson, on a leash after she went to get the mail :)  

What is your take on toddler leashes?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Leave it. To each their own though, I guess, but I have dogs they go on leashes not my child. If i was worred about her running off etc I would use a stroller or carry her.

Vertical15
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

They aren't my favorite but they have their place.  I used one for my middle son when we went to Disney.  I didn't drag him around or anything but it helped me keep him close in a place filled with people.  I actually had one at home and forgot to take it so bought another and now we own two but I think I've only used them each a handful of times.  The kids named it Oscar (its a monkey)

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I've seen the backpack ones.  I bought a harness for Laramie when she went to Disneyworld (she was 3), because I was worried with all the crowds in the airport and at the park.  I think if you have an active child (and let's face it, most that age are) and if you are in a crowded area where you may have your hands full or not be able to put them in a stroller or carrier that it can be a good strategy and a safety tool for your kiddo.

TerriC
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
No...no....no. I can't stand to see a child on a leash. :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Xandriasmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I used one. Allie started walking at 8 months and she just didn't understand no so I used a harness until about 10ish months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM
We used one occasionally. As Tiger mentioned they can be helpful in crowded places. My 4 year old went through a phase where he wanted to wear his (it's a monkey backpack style one) because it made him feel a little more secure in public.
karamille
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Heck yes for my older one.  He was fast and impulsive.  Who cares what other people thought.  Better than him getting hit by a car.  My younger one did not have the same personality.  He always stayed close and held my hand.  No need for the kid leash for him.  

PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

We used one on occasion for Alex - mainly at places that were really crowded like an airport.  It was mainly to keep him from getting lost in a crowd.

However, he liked to hold the leash part, so it totally defied the purpose, lol. 

MommyLehr
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Leave it!
mhmomma
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Not for me or my kids. To each their own. I think they are wrong but that's me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN