Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Ways to Have Fun Indoors

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 46 Replies

How do you beat cabin fever with your kids?

Post your ideas for fun indoor activities!

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

http://www.parenting.com/article/7-ways-to-have-fun-indoors?src=NL&con=hol&cid=enews010313&spPodID=010&spMailingID=4637905&spUserID=MjAzMjg4OTM4NDQS1&spJobID=137636836&spReportId=MTM3NjM2ODM2S0

Have a dirty-sock fight. Got cranky kids? Take the socks right off your feet and challenge them to a throwing battle (P-U!), and watch the whines turn to giggles and squeals. Make up teams to help out your littlest ones.

Play Simon Says, redux. Put a twist on the game with Spider-Man Says -- or whoever's popular in the house that week -- and everyone can take turns being their favorite superhero. Mix it up every time: "Spider-Man says, 'Pretend to spray a web on the wall!'"

Go on a free field trip to the pet store. It's too cold for the zoo; spend an hour checking out the cute puppies and kittens. If your kid's really into wild things, look for a store with exotic creatures.

Try a valentine craft. Trace and cut out a big heart shape from a brown paper bag. Little kids can crush or crinkle small squares of red and pink tissue paper into balls; older kids (or you) can help them glue the tissue balls on to cover the cutout or arrange them in the shape of the letters "D-A-D."

Jazz up "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes". Keep a pack of stickers in your purse; when your toddler's getting antsy in a restaurant, stick them all over her body. Sing the song, then ask her to find them, and name the body part each sticker is on together.

Visit this cool site: Soapbubbler.com It's got tons of cool videos of soap-bubble artists making colorful creations out of soap and wands. The gently transforming bubbles will have everyone mesmerized.

Revisit Red Light, Green Light -- indoors. Forgot how to play it? One person is the "stoplight"; the rest of you form a line several yards away. The stoplight turns his back to you and yells "green light!" You all run toward him until he yells "red light!" and turns around. Anyone he catches moving is out. The game's over when someone tags the stoplight or everyone is out.

Vertical15
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM

http://simplemom.net/20-indoor-activities-for-kids-besides-tv/

1. Read a book.

This is a go-to favorite in our family. Our library is right in our living room, available for access any time of day. Our kids know they can pull a book off the shelves at any time and enjoy, even though they can’t read on their own yet. And don’t forget about your public library.

2. Write a book.

Photo by nd.strupler

Even if your kids aren’t writing fluently yet, they can still compose literature on their own. Create a collection of blank books, and let your kids illustrate a story. Later, you can write the words for them as they dictate them to you, or they can sound out the words phonetically and write the story on their own. These books will make great keepsakes later.

3. Act out a book.

Does your child have a perennial favorite book? Have her act it out — the plot may take a unique turn, all her own. While I was making breakfast, my daughter said, “Mom, right now I’m going on a walk at half past nine.”

*see the site for 17 more great ideas!

Vertical15
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

http://www.hvparent.com/articlepost.aspx?id=866&c=0&t=ARTICLE

• Set up a board game. Interactive games will keep your kids entertained, while teaching them math, verbal and social skills!n
  • Make a puppet show. Gather some old socks, buttons, and yarn and help your child cut, paste and sew the silliest puppets. Or use popsicle sticks and construction paper to make people or animals. Create a new storyline, or have the puppets act out a favorite – such as Little Red Riding Hood or The Three Little Pigs.
  • Children love dressing up, and they also love dancing and singing. Let them dress up however they want (maybe in a pretty dress, or as one of their favorite characters), put on some music, and dance!
  • Play dress-up hot potato. Gather a bunch of different clothes on a bag, such as scarves, hats, vests or mittens, and have the kids toss it back and forth to their favorite music. Whoever has the most (or the funniest) clothing when the bag is empty, wins!
    TerriC
    by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    Such great ideas! Thanks for the post. I have been finding a lot if fun things on pinterest. One thing I can't wait to try is a nerf game that involves balloons "dressed" as burglars.
    Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
    Vertical15
    by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Post some more ideas here!  Love Pinterest!

Quoting TerriC:

Such great ideas! Thanks for the post. I have been finding a lot if fun things on pinterest. One thing I can't wait to try is a nerf game that involves balloons "dressed" as burglars.

Vertical15
    by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM

One of my friends posted pics of having a 'snowball' fight in their living room with balled up (CLEAN) socks!  Love it!  I can't wait to do that with my boys!

TerriC
    by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    That'd be fun too!

Quoting Vertical15:

One of my friends posted pics of having a 'snowball' fight in their living room with balled up (CLEAN) socks!  Love it!  I can't wait to do that with my boys!

TigerofMu
    by Sonja on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    1 mom liked this

Those sound fun!

egyptian_mommy
    by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    Baking treats can be fun plus you get to eat them. Wii has some fun family games like bowling, golf, tennis etc. And you get a bit of exercise. There's always a movie day complets with popcorn. This is a good one here when one or more kids aren't feeling 100%.
    Vertical15
    by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    1 mom liked this

We did the baking today.  And played with playdoh which is fun for all ages!  Love playing Wii, great ideas!

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Baking treats can be fun plus you get to eat them. Wii has some fun family games like bowling, golf, tennis etc. And you get a bit of exercise. There's always a movie day complets with popcorn. This is a good one here when one or more kids aren't feeling 100%.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN