Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

So I have a question. I took my son to the dentist last week. They told us he is "getting" a cavity on the side (in between two teeth) up towards the top of the tooth. Not that he has a cavity but he is getting one. He told us this is a common spot for cavities in young children because the only way you can really get to it is by flossing and that is often hard to do for children that young. They wanted me to schedule an appointment to have it filled. Here is my dillema, this is one of the front teeth, he is 5 1/2 so he will begin losing teeth soon and that will be one of them, and we have state insurance so the procedure is free. I wonder if we did not have insurance and were paying straight out of our pocket would the dentist tell us we had two options a.) get the filling or b.) wait because the tooth is going to fall out soon anyway. However, since we have insurance it costs nothing for us. We have had a heck of a time getting him comfortable with the dentist to begin with and he is just now to the point where he doesn't freak out, I'm afraid getting a filling is going to traumatize him to where he does not want to go back again. I never had to have fillings as a kid so this is all new to me and I really don't know what to do. Thoughts?

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Replies (11-12):
Nykyria
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Some cavities can be filled without Novocaine, so ask about that first. Also, baby teeth hold the space for the permanent teeth. Lets say he doesn't lose those front teeth until age 7 that is average, he needs to have healthy teeth in place until that time.

Also the infection that PP mentioned, in a baby tooth it comes down to a pulpotomy which is like a root canal but since a baby tooth doesn't really have roots..... so an infection causes pressure which needs to be released so they would drill into the top of the tooth, clean out the infection and put a cap on it. Worse case^^ if he has good oral hygiene, that is unlikely. 

The tooth either has a cavity or it doesn't. I worked for a DDS for 20 years and there was never a time when we filled a tooth that was "getting" a cavity. I would seriously question this before having any work done. 

Even if it is a "watch spot" or "getting a cavity" IF it were me I would have a second opinion and gently floss between those two teeth every morning and brush gently two times a day, especially that spot. Also use Act, swish around in the mouth and spit. Make it a game, put the cap in the sink and make it a target for him. 

Good luck

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Have it filled.  Cavities can cause further harm to other teeth as well as jaw.  Depending on your dentist they may get him really relaxed with gas or put him under.  DD had a few done and they were in the areas that are hard to reach.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)