Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Letting Your Kids Drink Milk Apparently Makes You a Terrible Mom

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM
  • 18 Replies

Letting Your Kids Drink Milk Apparently Makes You a Terrible Mom

glass of milkWe're milk drinkers in my house. Perhaps you can say we're milk-washed, you know like brainwashed into loving milk. We do love it.  My 3-year-old son and I do. My daughter drinks it, too but not as much as her twin brother. My first words were "more milk" so I've been loving milk for a really, really long time.

I know there are many who are anti-cow's milk. I respect you. Unlike me, you are going to love the results of this latest study. In short, Pediatrics has reported that if you give your kids more than two cups of milk a day you are failing as a parent.

Letting your child drink more than two cups of milk a day is believed to "cut into iron stores" for a lot of kids. Great. Bring on the guilt. The American Academy of Pediatrics has already said that kids from 2 to 6 should have no more than 500 ml of milk a day, which is two cups, to keep them from having an iron deficiency. This study plays into that advice, noting that higher consumption of cow's milk could lead to higher vitamin D levels and lower iron.

I'm writing this as my son is begging, "I want some milky mommy! I want some millllllky!" If I give it to him, it would be his third glass of the day.

I've been watering down his milk because my doctor suggested that too much of it could be the cause of his constipation. So in an effort to wean him off it, I thought watering it down would work, and it has somewhat. But there are days when he just wants a lot of milk. And then there was the other day where he saw me putting water in it and freaked out.

A purist. That's my boy!

Interestingly, kids with darker skin may need more than two cups of milk during the winter months. My son is fair skinned though, so that doesn't apply to us.

So the vitamin D found in milk is great for our kids' bones, but iron aids in the development of their brain and psychomotor development. Too much much could cause a deficiency in that. I'm preparing for the no-milk meltdown my son's about to have because I'm not giving it to him -- that's just not something I want my kid to be deficient in.

I wonder if he'll like goat's milk. 

What do you think of this study? Does it worry you? Does your kid drink more than 2 cups of milk a day?

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I doubt it at least for my dd.  She had a time where she was drinking 4+ cups a day and when her iron was checked she was just fine.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

It's absolutely true that calcium blocks iron absorption. This is the first I've heard that it may actually depleate iron stores. This is why, if you notice, the calcium levels in pre-natal vitamins, and some other multi-vitamins are very low. What they dont explain is that you are supposed to be taking your calcium supplement seperately. Like vitamin in the am, and calcium in the pm, to allow time for seperate absorption.

We dont drink much milk here. I am lactose intolerant. Milk constipates DS horribly. He gets maybe a glass a week, if he asks. It took some time to wean him, because he loved it as a baby. Now I mostly use it for cooking and when we bake homemade cookies ;)

Vertical15
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I've heard this before about it blocking the iron absorbtion.  We don't drink a lot of milk.  I like almond for my cereal and I really only use cows milk for my cooking/baking most of the time.  My oldes tis the one who likes to drink milk but he may have 1 cup a day give or take.

TerriC
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM
We do not drink milk. Its for cereal and baking only.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mhmomma
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM
My dd drinks milk once in a blue moon. Funny because she is on a milk kick right now. My ds doesn't drink any. We use milk for coffee and baking
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Quoting new_mom808:

What they dont explain is that you are supposed to be taking your calcium supplement seperately. Like vitamin in the am, and calcium in the pm, to allow time for seperate absorption.

That's interesting, I don't think I knew that!  Thanks for sharing!

sunshine86912
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:46 AM

hmm..I guess I could see where consitpation could be an issue...but wouldnt make you a BAD mom unless you kept doing it anyways lol

AliKatAK47
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I don't remember the last time either I or the kids drank milk just to drink it. I find it to be nasty. It is only good with cereal and cookies.

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM

My kids drank milk at every meal.  I drank milk at every meal and with cake or cookies.  Adults don't need milk but they do need the vitamin D and women especially need the iron.  Some kids and adults are lactose intolerant and you can buy lactose free milk.  We have switched to Smart Balance as it has some healthy omega 3 oils from olive oil, as does their margarine.  There are other milks sold in stores that are healthy, like coconut milk and  almond milk.  you can make almond milk at home if you have a Vitamix or Blendtec Blender or other high speed blender.  Or cashew milk, etc.  You could check raw food diets.  You can use the blender to make smoothies with kale and spinach to get the iron they need.  If kids play outside they will likely get the vitamin D they need.  Adults may need to take supplements.   They could also eat Greek Yogurt or have that in their smoothies.  You can make kale chips by putting in the oven at 250 for 45 min.  Could do in dehydrator but takes longer.  Can find a recipe for the kale chips at FoodNetwork.com with Anne Burrell.  She did that this morning.  Check out Green Smoothie Girl or Sue Savage of Vitamixlady.com  They have green smoothie recipes and many others.  I hadn't heard that only 2 glasses of milk should be drank by a child but maybe that is because of the additives and GMOs.   I do know that healthier diets are using other things rather than cow's milk though some will drink raw milk (which could be a problem since it is not pasteurized).  There are many additives to our processed foods so the more fresh and raw, the better.  Mom, we can only do the best we can.  Exercise and good raw vegetables and fruits are the best thing you can do as well as adding fish or tuna a couple days a week.  Have low amounts of red mead (beef, pork, sheep, ham,etc) and add in chicken or fowl.  Yet veggies and fruit and a great variety is the best.  Good luck to you. 

mrsjonzy
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM

We don't do milk. My little one has a milk allergy so we've all converted to almond, soy, or coconut milk. It's not worth the risk of him accidently eating someone's something with milk and feeling awful. Maybe when he's older we'll go back. My older one was a milk mosnster and could survive on milk alone when he was little. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN