Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Passing Your Cold??

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:50 AM
  • 14 Replies
I have a week and a half old baby boy and well I'm starting to get sick :( I both breastfeed and formula feed him. My thing is will I pass my cold to him if I breastfeed him?? He's too little to get sick right now and its too early for me to get sick when he's this lil.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM
5 moms liked this

you will pass antibodies from your cold in your breastmilk to him...he may get the sniffles, but it shouldn't be a full blown cold.  Try to breastfeed as much as possible to get him those antibodies he needs.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Nah, he shouldn't get it.

hismrsramirez86
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM
That's a relief lol
karamille
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM

He should be fine.  You can use saline drops in his nose if he should get stuffy to help him breathe while sucking.  

MammaKoi
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Nope not sick from the breast milk, keep feeding him. He will probably get a little sick from you but the antibodies you make in your body passes to him in your breast milk and will help him kick that nasty cold! 

PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for him now!  He'll get the antibodies your body is making to help him fight it off :)

If he does get congested, try a little breast milk in his nose instead of saline drops - instead of trying to aim, I express a little into a cup and use a dropper or syringe to get it in the nose. 

Good luck!!

egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Breastfeeding is actually the best thing you can do for him right now. Keep nursing Mama!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I have no new advice but kudos for breastfeeding!  Its the best thing you can do for your LO.

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Nope.  You will not pass the actual cold to him unless you sneeze or cough on his face.

hismrsramirez86
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Thanx ladies :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)