Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Here's my PSA for the day... Mentally ill relatives.

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM
  • 9 Replies

If you have a mentally ill relative (or a sane one for that matter) and they start talking about suicide, call 911 and have them put on an involuntary 72 hold at psych facility.  If they threaten it 28 different times, have them put on an involuntary hold 28 times.  Because you never know when the darkness is going to creep in enough they actually follow through.  My mentally ill uncle committed suicide this evening.  He was off his meds and not well.  I didn't see him over Christmas but apparently several people heard him talking about it and nobody did anything and didn't mention it to anyone in the family who wasn't there that day.  Nobody wanted to be the one to make the call this time.  And now he's gone.  Its just so sad that no one wanted to get their hands dirty.   Everyone wanted him to go back to being who he was before the late onset schizophrenia set it so they looked the other way thinking he would go back on his meds on his own and pull it together, but he was too far down the rabbit hole to get out on his own.  Sadly it can be summed up with this poem....

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM

*hugs* how awful :(

batjmom
by Sarah on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Oh I'm so sorry.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:04 AM

group hugI'm sorry for your loss.  Suicide is a tough thing for a family to face, because you always wonder if you could have done something, and no one wants to talk about it.

MELACOOCOOMAMA
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM

My deepest condolensences.  Thank you for sharing the story and educating the public.  There should not be any stigma associated with mental illnesses as the brain is an organ just like any other in the body.  It's a shame that insurances don't cover it as well.

TerriC
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM

So sorry.  =-(  The poem is really an eye opener, I am going to copy it.  Hang in there.  xoxo

Vertical15
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.  *hugs*

I will pass on the poem.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Im so sorry for your loss.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
karamille
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM

The viewing was today.  We opted to close the casket before everyone started arriving because he looked so skinny and unwell.  Just a shell of what he looked like even a year ago.  I was glad that a lot of his former coworkers showed up.  They all remembered him before he got sick 7 years ago.  I think it was good to his adult kids to hear about other people remembering him for who he used to be, not who he was these last few years.  

PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss - I hate that it takes an incident like that to open "everyone"'s eyes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN