Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

allergic to pork?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 16 Replies

This is about me, but i didn't know where else to go to ask.  i have had 3 instences where my lip has swollen.

The first time was after i ate potatoe soup. The second after i ate some honey cured ham. and today, i ate a combination burrito for breakfast. At first i couldnt figure out how the potatoe soup was linked until i researched the recipe and found it had bacon in it. The only thing i can think is maybe im allergic to pork. But, i eat pork chops quite frequently and never have a reaction. I don't know what is wrong with me....

Any suggestions?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Hmm No clue.  definitely talk to a doctor about an allergy test and avoid pork as much as possible until you get test done.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

There also might be some other chemical in the mix.  Were the burrito and soup homemade or from a store?  And was the soup already made, or a mix?  I know I have a friend who is allergic to sulfa, so she has to be careful to read the preservative ingredients because many products use ferrous sulfide or sulfate and some other sulfates or sulfides.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TigerofMu:

There also might be some other chemical in the mix.  Were the burrito and soup homemade or from a store?  And was the soup already made, or a mix?  I know I have a friend who is allergic to sulfa, so she has to be careful to read the preservative ingredients because many products use ferrous sulfide or sulfate and some other sulfates or sulfides.

I agree, if you eat pork chops with no problems, there may be another common denominator.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM

If you eat pork chops without reaction, then I would look at the ingredients of the other foods for preservatives that you might be allergic to.  

TerriC
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I would think there is another ingredient you may be allergic to if you eat pork chops with no problem. I would see a doctor to make sure. Let us know how it goes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I'll have to agree with the other posts.  It must be something else but the best way to go is to talk to a Dr and have tests done if you can.  Otherwise just be aware of what you are eating and go from there.  Allergies can pop up over time so you never know.

egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM
My husband is actually allergic to pork. We don't eat it due to religion but he's gotten some by accident a few times and has had reactions. But I agree with the others, it could be something else, a preservative, chemical or something.
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I would suspect chemicals used in curing since you reacted to Bacon & cured ham, but not pork chops.
zannahdeux
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I am allergic to chicken so anything is possible. Go to an allergist and find out for sure. It could be what they cure he bacon with or like you said maybe honey. It is important because lip swelling means you have a pretty sever allergy which eventually could lead to death ( anapalaxsis)
mhmomma
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I agree with everyone. There is something that is effecting you. I am allergic to carrots so I can not eat soup when out. Most stocks are veggie broth. I'm also allergic to sesame seeds and lots of breads have it in there somewhere. I would get tested and then you will know what to look for.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)