Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Just for Fun - The Ten Decorating Trends You Wish Would Go Away

Posted by   + Show Post

From House Beautiful...

The 10 Decorating Trends You Wish Would Go Away

We asked, you answered. From taxidermy to stainless steel, here are the top trends that our Facebook followers said are over — and hoping will finally fade away in 2013.

http://www.housebeautiful.com/shopping/decorating-trends/decorating-mistakes-1212?src=nl&mag=hbu&list=nl_hbn_dot_non_011013_decorating-mistakes&kw=ist#slide-1

Do you have any of these?  Do you think they are mistakes, or are there trends on this list that you disagree with?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Replies (31-40):
Vertical15
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

While the one in the photo is pretty I wouldn't like it.

Quoting TigerofMu:

TVs on the Mantel

"Televisions hung above the fireplace." —Kelly J.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm still a big fan of food for decor and the open layouts. I'm waaayyyy over the stainless steel and i've never been a fan of dead animal decor.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that's a whole different situation!

Quoting Vertical15:

I do have an Eiffle Tower statue on my shelf.  It was my grandmothers and its all I have of her.  So I don't know how cliched that is?

Quoting TigerofMu:

Clichéd Design

"Attempts at Parisian design by putting an Eiffel Tower statue on a shelf and a black-and-white harlequin rug on the floor." —Lou L

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Not a big fan of stainless steel, but I don't like the texture, drives me nuts...you will see this answer again on the chalkboard :).  I think we're going to go with butcher block when we get to the countertops.

Quoting Vertical15:

I like stainless steel though I don't have it and I guess I would like granite but I'm not sure if I would recognize it in any home right away.  I've noticed when I watch house hunters people do seem obsessed with it.  I say it all depends on the space.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Cookie-Cutter Kitchens

"I'm waiting patiently for the end of stainless-steel appliances and granite counter tops. What's next?"—Deb O.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Chalk dust makes me sick, and the texture of the chalkboard and the chalk creeps me out.  I could handle a dry erase board!  But not a whole houseful.

Quoting Vertical15:

I like the chalkboard look but I wonder about the amount of chalk dust?  And I wouldn't want a whole wall of it or anything but maybe one area or so.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Chalkboard Overload

"Turning every vertical surface in your house into a chalkboard." —Jennifer K.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM

A little goes a long ways, but those cushions are kind of cute.

Quoting Vertical15:

I think this depends on where or how much really. 

Quoting TigerofMu:

Neon

"Don't start the neon trend. Leave the colors in the '80s where they belong." —Laura J.

jlbelknap35
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM
I love open houses. I hate having people over and going into the kitchen or living room or something and feel segregated. I wanna be able to cook and stay in the grove of the party. We have a house like that now and I LOVE it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Annettey19
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the word decorations (family, eat, love, etc.) and the chalkboard thing. I'm on Pinterest a lot, so I get tired of the DIY overkill sometimes. Other than that, I don't think all of the things on the list were bad. I don't think taxidermy is necessarily a trend, and while open layouts in every house aren't good, I do think they look nice. Granite counter tops I do wonder about. They look nice, but I think they will end up dated, maybe?

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I meant to clarify this, because unless you've been in my living room this may not make much sense.  The wood/coal stove that we use to heat our house is in the living room and makes it too warm for a television.  

Quoting TigerofMu:

We can't even have a TV in our living room.  It gets too hot and the TV blinks off and on.  

Quoting batjmom:

Too high to look up to I think

Quoting TigerofMu:

TVs on the Mantel

"Televisions hung above the fireplace." —Kelly J.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Yes.  I hate those kitchens that are a whole separate room, or where the cupboards cover the opening.  I like an open kitchen/dining/living room or other area plan.  I do like my bedrooms and bathrooms on their own though! ;)

Quoting jlbelknap35:

I love open houses. I hate having people over and going into the kitchen or living room or something and feel segregated. I wanna be able to cook and stay in the grove of the party. We have a house like that now and I LOVE it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)