Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Just for Fun - The Ten Decorating Trends You Wish Would Go Away

Posted by   + Show Post

From House Beautiful...

The 10 Decorating Trends You Wish Would Go Away

We asked, you answered. From taxidermy to stainless steel, here are the top trends that our Facebook followers said are over — and hoping will finally fade away in 2013.

http://www.housebeautiful.com/shopping/decorating-trends/decorating-mistakes-1212?src=nl&mag=hbu&list=nl_hbn_dot_non_011013_decorating-mistakes&kw=ist#slide-1

Do you have any of these?  Do you think they are mistakes, or are there trends on this list that you disagree with?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I don't really think taxidermy is a trend either.  It's been around for a long time and is more about people sharing their interests and accomplishments than decorating.  At least in Wyoming! :)

Quoting Annettey19:

I agree with the word decorations (family, eat, love, etc.) and the chalkboard thing. I'm on Pinterest a lot, so I get tired of the DIY overkill sometimes. Other than that, I don't think all of the things on the list were bad. I don't think taxidermy is necessarily a trend, and while open layouts in every house aren't good, I do think they look nice. Granite counter tops I do wonder about. They look nice, but I think they will end up dated, maybe?

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I agree with the faux "antiqued" aka beat to shit furniture, the words as decor, open floor plans -- I like defined rooms with wall.  

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

That has been around FOREVER.  I remember the wax fruit my Grandma had. My mom had plastic fruit arrangement that included grapes.  The grapes were cool to play with.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Food as Decor

"Decorating with food! Enough with the bowl of green apples which no one ever eats." —Teedra S.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I have quartz countertops and I picked a different one for the island.  They're the same design, but the island is black and grey and the countertops are beige and black.

Quoting batjmom:

Okay I have stainless steel appliances and a granite countertop but ... I don't think mine is anywhere near cookie cutter. I think I picked a unique counter color.
Maybe that's just me

Quoting TigerofMu:

Cookie-Cutter Kitchens

"I'm waiting patiently for the end of stainless-steel appliances and granite counter tops. What's next?"—Deb O.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM

That sounds pretty :).

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I have quartz countertops and I picked a different one for the island.  They're the same design, but the island is black and grey and the countertops are beige and black.

Quoting batjmom:

Okay I have stainless steel appliances and a granite countertop but ... I don't think mine is anywhere near cookie cutter. I think I picked a unique counter color.
Maybe that's just me

Quoting TigerofMu:

Cookie-Cutter Kitchens

"I'm waiting patiently for the end of stainless-steel appliances and granite counter tops. What's next?"—Deb O.

Scribbleprints
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM

The fruit bowls I like...we eat enough fruit to need them.  But everything else I agree with.   I also think animal prints in un-natural colors, can go.  It looks so teenagerish.  And grey walls, unless they are extremely light grey or have a slight hue to them. 

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I guess I don't think of my fruit bowls as part of my decorating scheme :).  They are just food!  That one seemed a little strange to me, but then when I look in magazines or online, they are everywhere!

Quoting Scribbleprints:

The fruit bowls I like...we eat enough fruit to need them.  But everything else I agree with.   I also think animal prints in un-natural colors, can go.  It looks so teenagerish.  And grey walls, unless they are extremely light grey or have a slight hue to them. 

SpiritFilled31
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont like any of it either!

TerriC
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I do none of those.  We have a fruit bowl, but it is because we eat the fruit.  LOL.  And, it isn't sitting in a place where you'd think it is decor.  =-)

printerr
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I do have my TV on the mantel, although I never thoguht of it as a "trend." Basically, I finally got a flat screen,and the only wall space for it to be able to be seen from all the seating is on the mantel  The other 2 walls (on the side) are above seating, and the main couch (which faces the mantel) has no wall behind it (it has the dining area behind it).  I love it, because I prefer to look up at it instead of down or straight across (I hate my bedroom TV down on a TV stand because it's so low to try to watch from bed....and I can't put my knees up without blocking my view.  I don't have that problem with my living room TV). 

I did notice and never liked the trends of stainless steel (why would I want appliances that show every single fingerprint?) and the open air concept (I do NOT want my kitchen in the same room as my livingroom space!!!).  I've intentionally avoided anything to do with those trends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)