Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Just for Fun - The Ten Decorating Trends You Wish Would Go Away

Posted by   + Show Post

From House Beautiful...

The 10 Decorating Trends You Wish Would Go Away

We asked, you answered. From taxidermy to stainless steel, here are the top trends that our Facebook followers said are over — and hoping will finally fade away in 2013.

http://www.housebeautiful.com/shopping/decorating-trends/decorating-mistakes-1212?src=nl&mag=hbu&list=nl_hbn_dot_non_011013_decorating-mistakes&kw=ist#slide-1

Do you have any of these?  Do you think they are mistakes, or are there trends on this list that you disagree with?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Replies (71-80):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM

rolling on floor

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

But...but...how will we know what to do??

Quoting TigerofMu:

This one made me laugh :)

Obvious Signage

"The word 'eat' placed in the kitchen. Do we now require labeled rooms so that we know their functions?" —Carlye I.

sidesplittinglaughter

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM

*Gasp* I...can't....breathe!...laughing....too...hard....You are on fire today!  (or yesterday?)

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Darn. And I was just going to run out and buy a pallet of chalkboard paint to paint the whole house.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Chalkboard Overload

"Turning every vertical surface in your house into a chalkboard." —Jennifer K.

Vertical15
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Nice!

Our cabinets are homemade.  They are very basic but while not ornate they work well and are very spacious.  There is actually a hidden shelf inside on the top shelf all along one side of the kitchen (I hide the kids goodies there!)

Quoting TigerofMu:

Paul was going to build all the cabinets, but he doesn't feel that he'll make them pretty enough.  We really like the butcher block because it's practical for us, but I don't know how badly it will stain and scar.  Plus, it was fairly cheap - we got the idea because we saw a sale ad.  He'd been thinking of actually building our own homemade butcher block like he did over at the Haven for the desk.

Quoting Vertical15:

Butcher block is what my MIL wants us to get for our home but we haven't looked into it yet.  The kitchen needs completely redone and we really could use new appliances but we get them as needed at this point.  When we bought the house we thought we knew what we were getting into!  LOL

Quoting TigerofMu:

Not a big fan of stainless steel, but I don't like the texture, drives me nuts...you will see this answer again on the chalkboard :).  I think we're going to go with butcher block when we get to the countertops.

Quoting Vertical15:

I like stainless steel though I don't have it and I guess I would like granite but I'm not sure if I would recognize it in any home right away.  I've noticed when I watch house hunters people do seem obsessed with it.  I say it all depends on the space.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Cookie-Cutter Kitchens

"I'm waiting patiently for the end of stainless-steel appliances and granite counter tops. What's next?"—Deb O.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I like the hidden shelf idea :).  Paul made the top ones that we have now, and I like them!

Quoting Vertical15:

Nice!

Our cabinets are homemade.  They are very basic but while not ornate they work well and are very spacious.  There is actually a hidden shelf inside on the top shelf all along one side of the kitchen (I hide the kids goodies there!)

Quoting TigerofMu:

Paul was going to build all the cabinets, but he doesn't feel that he'll make them pretty enough.  We really like the butcher block because it's practical for us, but I don't know how badly it will stain and scar.  Plus, it was fairly cheap - we got the idea because we saw a sale ad.  He'd been thinking of actually building our own homemade butcher block like he did over at the Haven for the desk.

Quoting Vertical15:

Butcher block is what my MIL wants us to get for our home but we haven't looked into it yet.  The kitchen needs completely redone and we really could use new appliances but we get them as needed at this point.  When we bought the house we thought we knew what we were getting into!  LOL

Quoting TigerofMu:

Not a big fan of stainless steel, but I don't like the texture, drives me nuts...you will see this answer again on the chalkboard :).  I think we're going to go with butcher block when we get to the countertops.

Quoting Vertical15:

I like stainless steel though I don't have it and I guess I would like granite but I'm not sure if I would recognize it in any home right away.  I've noticed when I watch house hunters people do seem obsessed with it.  I say it all depends on the space.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Cookie-Cutter Kitchens

"I'm waiting patiently for the end of stainless-steel appliances and granite counter tops. What's next?"—Deb O.

mhmomma
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM
I think my neck would hurt. I like my tv at eye level.

Quoting TigerofMu:

TVs on the Mantel

"Televisions hung above the fireplace." —Kelly J.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM
:-D lol

Quoting TigerofMu:

*Gasp* I...can't....breathe!...laughing....too...hard....You are on fire today!  (or yesterday?)

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Darn. And I was just going to run out and buy a pallet of chalkboard paint to paint the whole house.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Chalkboard Overload

PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I like open layouts....to a certain extent!  TOO much open makes it hard to arrenge things just as much as not enough open! 

Quoting TigerofMu:

Open Layouts

"Open concept everything. We need some walls back." —Jessica B.

PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM

My dad and stepmom got me a sign that says "Bistro" when I moved into my apartment, because there was a space on top of the cabinets they thought looked empty.  I've gotten so used to it and haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of it, 3 moves later!  However, I would have never bought something like that myself :)

Quoting TigerofMu:

This one made me laugh :)

Obvious Signage

"The word 'eat' placed in the kitchen. Do we now require labeled rooms so that we know their functions?" —Carlye I.

sidesplittinglaughter

PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

If we had any chalk surfaces in our house, the boys would take it as an okay to draw on ANY walls, lol! 

Quoting TigerofMu:

Chalkboard Overload

batjmom
by Sarah on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Sounds beautiful.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I have quartz countertops and I picked a different one for the island.  They're the same design, but the island is black and grey and the countertops are beige and black.

Quoting batjmom:

Okay I have stainless steel appliances and a granite countertop but ... I don't think mine is anywhere near cookie cutter. I think I picked a unique counter color.

Maybe that's just me

Quoting TigerofMu:

Cookie-Cutter Kitchens

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)