Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

I want my 7 year old to eat healthy..........are these snacks healthy?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:20 AM
  • 163 Replies

My son is 7 years old and for about 3 years now I've been given him his fruit snacks (he calls them chewies) to eat, for snack. there different fruit snacks like gushers or spiderman, batman, phineas and ferb snacks. different characters that he likes to watch.

reason being, on the box where they list the nurtrition information, it says 100% vitamin c which is (last time i checked) very healthy.

but over the course of 6 months, i've been told by a couple of parents that these type of snacks really isn't healthy for kids.

so i'm confused, if they aren't healthy then why does it say right on the nutrition information 100% vitamin c?

if these particular brands aren't healthy, can you suggest other ones that might be?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM
5 moms liked this

I stopped buying fruit snacks almost 2 years ago.  They may have vitamin c but the sugar content and other ingredients are what make them a no for me.  Plus, the dentist told me fruit snacks are a huge reason for small children to get cavaties (the fruit snacks go between their teeth and are there until they brush their teeth, so it is like sugar sitting between their teeth).  Also, for my oldest DD she has had a problem with constipation her whole life and the fruit snacks made it so much worse.  I stopped buying them and my girls didn't even ask for them.  I gave them raisins and other dried fruit and that seemed to be just fine with them.  =-)

vinalex0581
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM

BUMP!

mckinneymom918
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I buy them occasionally when their on sale for special treats (or when I need the convenience), but my kids like raisins or crasins or dried bananas just as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mhmomma
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

They are very sugary.  I buy them once in awhile.  And if they are allowed to eat them they get them at night.  When I know they are about to brush their teeth

Jadegirl1819
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, think about peanut butter cookies.  Peanut butter is healthy.  Does that mean peanut butter cookies are healthy snacks?  You have to look at the whole thing not just the added vitamins.  Fruit chews are basically candy with vitamin C added.  I suggest looking online to learn how to read nutrition labels.  Actual fruit would be healthier and a better source of vitamin C than gummies.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Those types of snacks are really like candy or cookies.  I think cookies have a place in a kid's life, in moderation. When I pack my daughter's lunch, she gets fruit and a cookie along with hre sandwich.  Fresh fruit or veggies would be a better choice.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

They are pretty sugary.  It's always better to go with regular fruit.  

vinalex0581
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM

my son doesn't like raisins, crasins or dried bananas.

do you have any other suggestions for a healthy snack?

Quoting mckinneymom918:

I buy them occasionally when their on sale for special treats (or when I need the convenience), but my kids like raisins or crasins or dried bananas just as well.

vinalex0581
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

my son doesn't like raisins and other dried fruit.

do you have any other suggestions?

Quoting TerriC:

I stopped buying fruit snacks almost 2 years ago.  They may have vitamin c but the sugar content and other ingredients are what make them a no for me.  Plus, the dentist told me fruit snacks are a huge reason for small children to get cavaties (the fruit snacks go between their teeth and are there until they brush their teeth, so it is like sugar sitting between their teeth).  Also, for my oldest DD she has had a problem with constipation her whole life and the fruit snacks made it so much worse.  I stopped buying them and my girls didn't even ask for them.  I gave them raisins and other dried fruit and that seemed to be just fine with them.  =-)

vinalex0581
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM

he doesn't really like fruit anymore either.

what other suggestions might you have that i could feed my son?

Quoting TigerofMu:

They are pretty sugary.  It's always better to go with regular fruit.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN