Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My dd is constantly sick this year

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 15 Replies

My dd is normally pretty healthy. She has asthma, but it doesn't bother her too much. Usually she will catch a cold or strep at some time over the year but it doesn't slow her down much, and she usually recovers from it quickly. But not this year. This year she has been sick off and on since school started. In October she was sick for a month, with a virus, the drs said. Coughing, congestion, just feeling yucky, and it didn't go away for a month. Then in December she got sick again. The worst sore throat she has ever had, bad cough, and she is still a little sick from that. The sore throat got better, but she still has a little cough, and she has been extremely exhausted, more tired than she has ever been when sick before. I took her to the dr the day after Christmas, but I haven't been able to take her back yet, bc of finances. What do you think about this? Is this normal? Would you be overly concerned if this was your child?

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Well  i have had a bad cough since before christmas but all the other symptoms have gone away.   I wonder almost if she got mono with the symptoms you described.  I wonder if you could call the doctor and get medical advice over the phone.  Is her breathing ok?

mhmomma
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM
My kids are rarely sick this year seems like they have caught a lot. Do you give her any supplements? My kids take acidophilus with probiotics. It really helps
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
karamille
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I would amp up the preventative asthma meds.  We use flovent daily from late fall to late spring for our preventative.  With asthma, the body has an over-reaction to irritation/illness.  By calming down that immune response just a little bit with preventatives, she will fair better with illnesses.  And part of it is just part of being a kid and picking up germs to build that immune system.  It sucks, but its a right of passage.  

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Is she getting enough rest?  Is she drinking enough water?  I'd see if I could figure out some ways to boost her immune system.

pce68
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Today we had to leave church early bc my dd got overheated and started feeling weak. She NEVER wants to miss church, so I knew she didn't feel good. And when we got home she wanted chicken noodle soup and Ritz crackers for lunch, and she will hardly ever eat soup. I am a little worried. She says she feels better now that she's home, that it was just too hot at church, but I just don't know what to think.

alf2651
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

To answer your question, yes, I would be overly concerned if it was my child.

My DD is rarely sick, but this year it seems like she's been through it. She's been sick since about a week before Christmas. It's finally leaving her system though, thank God. 

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Vertical15
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I would be concerned and would ask the Dr to look more into it if she just isn't getting better.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Is she recovering from each illness or is she recovering more slowly? Is this her first year in school? It does seem like there are more viruses going around this year.
I would start on C and zinc supplements daily. Both are fairly inexpensive. Elderberry syrup is another excellent option for immune support but it can be a little pricey. Also sugar compromises the immune system so try to limit it as much as possible.
pce68
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:18 PM

She's 13, so she has ben exposed to a lot of illnesses in the past, and she usually recovers quickly. It's hard to tell if they are separate illnesses or if one continues into the next. She was sick for most of Oct and seemed to do better for a few weeks and then got sick again around Christmas.

Quoting new_mom808:

Is she recovering from each illness or is she recovering more slowly? Is this her first year in school? It does seem like there are more viruses going around this year.
I would start on C and zinc supplements daily. Both are fairly inexpensive. Elderberry syrup is another excellent option for immune support but it can be a little pricey. Also sugar compromises the immune system so try to limit it as much as possible.

egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I think it's worth having her checked out. There are a lot of nasty things going around this year nut it doesn't seem normal that it's taking her so long to recover.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)