Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Bottle weaning .. please help!!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 20 Replies

My DD is 18 months old and is still drinking her milk from a bottle. She finds it comforting and uses it as a mechanism to help her fall asleep. I know you're supposed to start weaning off the bottle around 12 months, but she's still on it. Does anyone have any tips on how to get her off the bottle? Thanks!

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mhmomma
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Take it away. So not good to have milk and then to bed. I would not give her a bottle any longer. Milk in cup only. My dd was 15 months on a bottle. Bad me according to doctor. I didn't know any better. Maybe do one bottle at a time. Start with the bottle that she is in te best mood. For my dd it was the afternoon. We got rid of that one. Then we moved onto the next. We moved pretty quickly. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM

We went cold turkey.

TerriC
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Same here. Cold turkey. Good luck, let us know how it goes. :-)
TonyaLea
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I started out by introducing a sippycup with water in it around 9 months or so, just to get her used to using a sippy, For mealtimes I would put it on her highchair tray.  Then when she turned a year, and was used to using the sippy, I went cold turkey on the bottles and she got sippy's of whole milk with meals, and water the rest of the day.  She fought it a little at first and I started giving her sips of milk out of a regular cup just to get milk in her, but then after a couple of days she accepted that she wasn't going to get a bottle and resigned herself to the sippy.  :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I gave mine only water in bottle. Watered down Juice or milk in sippy cups. They became more interested in the sippy cup, less in the bottle! 

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

I gave mine only water in bottle. Watered down Juice or milk in sippy cups. They became more interested in the sippy cup, less in the bottle! 

This is what I would do as well.

egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM
How often is she getting a bottle?
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Wish i could help here but i am working on my 1 yr old now.he only get two on in the a.m. n the other 1 hour before bedtime.
mhmomma
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM
With my son we never put milk in his bottle. So he didn't know any better. He only got milk in a sippy so by his 1st birthday he was bottle free. So much easier then fighting with my dd.
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM

You could start giving her a sippy cup during the day, and gradually work it into her night time routine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)