Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you typically fight off the cold and flu season with your family?

Posted by   + Show Post

We sent some moms a "Sick Day Supermom" package as part of the Children's Mucinex Program. In addition to a variety of fun items for their children, each mom received a coupon for Children's Mucinex and a gift card to help get their kids through the cold and flu season.

Read how these moms fight off the cold and flu season with their family and then share your story.

Because this is a post sponsored by Children's Mucinex, please do not reference any brand names in your comments. Comments that infringe on copyrights or trademarks (except for Children's Mucinex) may be deleted.

Click here to get a $2.00 off coupon for Children's Mucinex the next time you or your friend's child is sick with the cold or flu.  

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
TJFBGMommy

At the first sign of a cold we crank up the vaporizers and start on some homeopathics depending on the symptoms.  Our naturopath works with a traditional doctor and we've actually been told to use mucinex for the kids on occasion, especially at bed time.  We also have cream made with eucalyptus and coconut oil to rub on the kids chests and the soles of their feet. Works wonders!

DylansMom1207

We try our best to wash our hands often, keep them away from our face, take our vitamins, get a lot of rest, and eat good meals in an effort to prevent any possible winter colds.

In the event we are hit we get ourselves some OTC meds to fight our symptoms.  I will take the to the pedi. office if their fever is high or if their cough sounds too nasty.

Wendy0506

The kids get their flu shots and I have taught my oldest son from a very young age to cough and sneeze into his elbow.  I wash my hands ALOT and I try to be sure my son does too but I'm not a total fanatic about it and he prefers to use hand sanitizing wipes.  I try to avoid using OTC meds unless they really need them but if needed I will use Children's Mucinex since I use Mucinex for myself too.  We also take a daily vitamin.

sweetheart4171

I fight off the cold and flu season by vaccinating my children and myself with the flu vaccine.  Then we are constantly washing hands, taking extra vitamin C along with our daily vitamins, and eating as healthy as can be.  When my children do get the cold, it's normally OTC medication, and lots of TLC along with antibacterial wipes washing everything so the next person hopefully doesn't get it or as severe

MommeisQueen
I usually increase handwashing, beef up disinfecting and make sure everyone is eating well.
glitterbelle

Washing our hands is number one as soon as we come home if we are out we use hand sanitizer I teach them not to share food or drinks with other people I make sure they get enough sleep every night and exercise during the day and eat healthy foods but even with all the precautions with 4 kids in 4 different schools they do get sick sometimes I try to keep them hydrated and comfortable first we try over the counter meds such as Mucinex even my older kids have a hard time swallowing pills so the mini melts are great then I take them to the doctor if neccesary

cupcake_1283

We use precautions like hand sanitizers, washing hands, and covering mouths when coughing. Since I have 3 kids, if one gets sick, they all get sick. We use every precaution we can to keep from getting sick. If they do get sick, we start meds immediately. Cough meds, pain relievers, OTCs, and Mucinex. Whichever is more tailored to fight the symptoms at the time. The kids get plenty of soups, fluids, and plenty of rest!

jaedynmoon

Our family typically fights off cold and flu season by being extra cautious about touching our face.  We all carry hand sanitizer with us and wash our hands often.  I like to start everyone's day off with a multi vitamin and a glass of orange juice as well.  If any of us are sick we get a new movie, eat soup, drink lots of fluids, and rest.  We drink lots of tea with honey (for the adults) and warm honey water (for our daughter).  My husband and I love the adult form of Mucinex so we are looking forward trying the children's version. 

practicalmama

I usually try some natural remedies before I reach for medicine. My husband respects this, although he will pick up something from the store, you know, just in case...! As a matter of fact, while we were away on vacation last month our youngest got sick, so he went to the store and bought Mucinex. I'm not sure what kind and I ended up leaving it at my sister-in-law's house, so getting another one soon is going to be nice.

I also pack hand sanitizer in my kids' backpacks, use steam baths when stuffy, honey and lemon for sore throats, and try and keep door knobs, etc. cleaned off (as much as I can with 3 kiddos!).  

kt674

We have had a lot of colds in our house this season but fortunately have avoided anything too bad like the flu. When the kids do have colds we treat with plenty of fluids, vaporizers and OTC meds like mucinex.  The meds are for my 6 year old since my baby is too young for anything but the vaporizer and saline drops. To avoid sickness we wash our hands often try to avoid other sick people and we don't send our son to school when he is sick to reduce spreading his germs to other kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)