Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

How do you typically fight off the cold and flu season with your family?

Posted by   + Show Post

We sent some moms a "Sick Day Supermom" package as part of the Children's Mucinex Program. In addition to a variety of fun items for their children, each mom received a coupon for Children's Mucinex and a gift card to help get their kids through the cold and flu season.

Read how these moms fight off the cold and flu season with their family and then share your story.

Because this is a post sponsored by Children's Mucinex, please do not reference any brand names in your comments. Comments that infringe on copyrights or trademarks (except for Children's Mucinex) may be deleted.

Click here to get a $2.00 off coupon for Children's Mucinex the next time you or your friend's child is sick with the cold or flu.  

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Replies (31-40):
kanakake

Well since my 5 year old has never had a flu shot due to her egg allergy I am a stickler for hand washing and sanitizing. My kids also take immunity multivitamins, but that doesn't mean they still don't get sick. when that happens i count on plenty of rest, fluids and OTC medicine. once my oldest turned 4 I did not hesitate to buy Mucinex. I figured the adult products work great for my husband and I, why shouldn't they make a great kids product too. 

joanursic
1 mom liked this

I seem to be the opposite of most posting here.  There are germs everywhere. Washing hands is always a good idea but you can't sanatize the whole world.  And everywhere we go there is always some kiddo with a runny nose.  When my children are sick I usually do alot of hugging.  They love snuggling up to Mommy with a blankie on them.  Lots of juice and bed rest.  The softest tissues I can find.  They are worth the price.  Hot baths also seem to work.  I use OTC meds rarely but I keep them in stock. 

Naomshi

We usually wash our hands and I wipe down the sink and handles when a cold is going around. If my kids are uncomfortable or if their symptoms worsen, then I give them OTC medicine or got to the doctor. I have a 6 yr old and a 3 yr old. 

momoffourkidies

with 4 children it is hard at time but we eat lots of chicken soup and drink lots of OJ and go thru many boxes of tissues when the time hits.  Only when these tactics dont work or a fever spike do we go to the dr.

julietw

Before my children get sick i get my children to wash their hands as much as possible and cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze. And when they get sick we use many cold medicines to try to combat the cold can't wait to try childrens mucinex to see how well it works on my little ones colds

Tigress22304

tissues/sanitizer/hand washing

orange juice/chicken soup

and if things get worse to the point that OTC meds don't work-its dr time

SarahSuzyQ

For us, cold and flu season is all about trying to prevent illness and trying to stay on top of it once it's hit.

As far as prevention, we do a lot of hand washing and a lot of sanitizing of the frequently used surfaces: knobs, handles, etc. I remind my son that we don't share drinks or chapstick with friends, and keep my fingers crossed that he remembers this at school! My husband is also really big on Vitamin C drops and other vitamins that might help ward off illness.

When one of us is sick, we drink a lot of water, get a lot of rest, and rely on OTC medicines to help manage the symptoms. I have a small supply on hand, but we live near a local store so I can run out and get whatever might be most helpful depending on the specific illness...

I've been really pleased with adult Mucinex, but hadn't really been aware that it was an option for kids. Knowing that it works well on my colds, I'll definitely be looking at this for my son if/when he gets a cold or the flu this winter.

jen113000

We practice good hand washing!! Also sneezing/coughing into our elbows. If we do come down with a cold or the flu. We try our best to be hydrated and use OTC medicine when needed. Also get plenty of rest!

onecuteladybug2

I try to use medication as a last resort. We usually start with things with extra Vitamin C. One of our favorites is warm Lemonade made with just lemon juice, honey, and hot water. When medications are needed, Children's Mucinex is one of our go to choices. Though I really wish it were available dye free, as my son does not do too well with them lately.

Kayakmom599

we use otc meds and try to keep everything wiped down and clean.we also wash hands alot and use hand sanitizer.If those don't work we make a Dr's appt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)