Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

How do you typically fight off the cold and flu season with your family?

Posted by   + Show Post

We sent some moms a "Sick Day Supermom" package as part of the Children's Mucinex Program. In addition to a variety of fun items for their children, each mom received a coupon for Children's Mucinex and a gift card to help get their kids through the cold and flu season.

Read how these moms fight off the cold and flu season with their family and then share your story.

Because this is a post sponsored by Children's Mucinex, please do not reference any brand names in your comments. Comments that infringe on copyrights or trademarks (except for Children's Mucinex) may be deleted.

Click here to get a $2.00 off coupon for Children's Mucinex the next time you or your friend's child is sick with the cold or flu.  

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Replies (41-50):
andrea96

We wash our hands a lot. If we do get sick, we rest, get lots of fluids, and use OTC medication when appropriate.

jarlongfellow
I make sure we all get the flu shot. When out in public I try my hardest to make sure the kids do not touch stuff. We wash our hands all the time. If the kids happen to get sick we use mucinex mini melts. It works great and the kids don't mind the taste!
MOM2DMSD

Hand washing is a must and I try to remind them to keep their little germ filled hands off of their faces.  When they do get sick, I use OTC medicines, cough drops (if needed) and tons of orange juice.  

Renee47

wash your hand,wash your hands, wash your hands!

dstoutholcomb

we like to hae a stock of tissues on hand, a little bit of honey, soup, etc...if the sutffiness or coughing is bad , then we'll look toward OTC prducts since there's nothing the Dr can do for virul infections. The allergist highly recommneds Mucinex.

klav

since the flu is going around I've been having the kids wash there hands allot, sneeze and cough in there arm not hands. They have been taking there zinc daily vitamins and is anyone coughs  it's been OTC meds and tissues. Wrapping up with a hat on there head even though they think it's not so cold out. lots of fluids and the usual home remedies. cleaning door knobs and such . this is how I try to ward off any cold.

lovingmy4babies
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM

For us, it's lots of rest and lots of fluids, OTC meds if needed, and a trip to the doctor ONLY if necessary. Most of the time we weather it out at home on the couch, tissue box in one hand and water in the other.

beauty1889

My son has yet to have the flu or cold yet, but my step-daughter gets colds a lot and i am anxious to see how well mucinex works for her next cold she gets.

dumples19

We do a lot of hand washing, and once a month or so, I'll turn off the heat and open all the windows to allow a breeze and move new air in, old air out.  

The air is so dry here that it's not uncommon to see a humidifier running, or a pot of water boiling on the stove, even when no one is yet sick.

When the kids are sick, I do a lot of the standard stuff:  make sure they're resting and not running around, keep them hydrated, give them a box of tissues, and make sure they are getting their vitamins.  I try to use essential oils to help relieve some aches and pains.  I don't take the kids to the doctor or use OTC unless I feel that the above ideas are not helping.  I've never tried Mucinex before, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, and so I'm excited to have that in my arsenal to help combat misery-inducing symptoms when the kiddos get sick.

kdun33

I have had humidifiers running in my kids' rooms all winter to try to keep their noses clear.  I also give them a spoonful of honey if they are congested and coughing.  If things get really bad, I will use Mucinex to help clear them out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)