Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

What tips do you have for getting kids through the cold and flu season?

Posted by   + Show Post

We sent some moms a "Sick Day Supermom" package as part of the Children's Mucinex Program. In addition to a variety of fun items for their children, each mom received a coupon for Children's Mucinex and a gift card to help get their kids through the cold and flu season.

Because this is a post sponsored by Children's Mucinex, please do not reference any brand names in your comments. Comments that infringe on copyrights or trademarks (except for Children's Mucinex) may be deleted.

Read what our moms are saying about their experience with Children's Mucinex Multi-Symptom Cold. Then, tell us what tips you have for getting kids through the cold and flu season.

Click here to get a $2.00 off coupon for Children's Mucinex the next time you or your friend's child is sick with the cold or flu.  

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Replies (271-277):
jessicasmom1
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I may be getting adult mucinex if I don't feel alittle better 

KristinRox
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM

We do a lot of cleaning doorknobs and other fixtures that might get touched a lot. Disinfectant wipes become our best friend. 

Ive never used childrens mucinex but because so many moms on here are saying how great it is, I might give it a try. :0)

farmwife0810
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM

this isnt a cold or flu trick but a stomach bug one, i read a few articles about how a glass of welches 100 percent purple grape juice a day will kill any stomach bugs that get into your system...i have 5 children so we have been working on this all sick season! hoping it works well i HATE throwing up and i always get it the worse.

FunckyMama
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I will definitely try this product with my kids.  Sounds like it works fast!

MamaAjax
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

We managed to get a combination of Flu and Strep at the same time in our home back in Feb.

1. Boil a huge crab pot of apple cider vinegar/water in the house. It helps with sinuses.
  2. Have a "necessities" food kit. For us it's Homemade Lemon Rice Greek Soup, G2 Series Gatorade (3x less sugar and all the electrolytes needed), Tazo Calm tea with honey and lemon, saltine crackers.
  3. Have a "necessities" supply kit. Tissues with Aloe, "Snuggie Blankie", a "No Spill" cup or a cup with a long flex straw, favorite pillow, face masks, hand sanitizer.
  4. In case of Emergency Meds: Dye-Free Children's Tylenol, Dye-Free Children's Motrin.
  5. Open the house up to air it out. (Mostly we did this on warm days, as we live in Florida)

I'm not a big user of western medicine and don't generally need it, but when you're talking a 104.5 fever steady, I'll start the rotation between the two every 3-4hours.

Though we still managed to end up in the E.R. with our son, mainly because his fever was relentless and by the third night Tylenol and Motrin weren't even knocking it down. We adults managed to get over it without ever going to the hospital or doctor. Matter of fact, once I got sick we took precautions quickly that my husband didn't even really get it even though he ended up taking off from work to care for the sickies. The face masks and hand sanitizer were mainly components to not spread out sickness to others when we had to go out into public.

angelface77
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:29 AM

We swear by the humidifier and some other smelly stuff we rub rub on their  chests. Rest, drink lots of water, steamy showers.

Samanthamommy
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Handwashing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN