Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

First time croup has shown itself in our house

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 14 Replies

Holy cow it sounds awful!  I am accustomed to asthma, but that was clearly not asthma I was hearing last night.  I threw nebulized albuterol and steriods at it anyways figuring it couldn't hurt.  I took Max (6yrs old) in to see the dr today and she could still hear stridor even with him at rest.  Poor kid woke up with his eyes matted shut this morning too.  Sinus infection coming out thru this eyes and out the vent tubes in his ears.  So antibiotics and oral steriods.  Just like with asthma - within 12 hours or so I could tell that the steriods were working.  Hopefully he will sleep well tonight.  Maybe its just because I'm not used to it, but I think croup was just as scary as an asthma attack.  :P  

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Aw, how rough!  I hope he feels better soon!

Vertical15
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Yikes!  I hope hes doing better soon!

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM
*hugs* I hope he gets better asap! Croup is horrendous! This is our first winter without it *knock on wood*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Oh I hope he feels better soon. That croup it tough
karamille
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The crazy thing is that he said he didnt feel bad.  When pressed, he said his head felt heavier than usual, but never said he felt bad.  He was tossing and turning and not sleeping well before he woke up with breathing issues, but when he was breathing better he went right back to bed.  When he has asthma he will usually tell me he feels itchy on the inside.  I think thats how explains tightness in his chest.  Crazy.  

mhmomma
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Yuck hope he feels better soon. My ds had croup last Christmas and we ended up in ER.  Poor kid could not breath for anything.  They gave him steroids to help.  My dd had it when she was 6 also.  It so scary

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Yuck!  I hope he's feeling better soon!  Croup is scary.  My brother was hospitalized with it when he was about four.   We were visiting my Papa's house, and though Mom took him in the bathroom with the steam, there wasn't a big enough water heater to keep it going.  He was in a steam tent in the hospital in the nearest town for a couple of days.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Awwwwww.poor baby.
new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Hows he feeling?
karamille
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM

We finished up the steriods today.  He hasn't had another coup incident since we got a full day of steriods in him.  However... he's picked up another cold.  *sigh*  He's still on abx for another 6 days from the sinus infection.  I don't know how that sinus infection junk is going to drain while he has a cold going on.  Thankful he has vent tubes in his ears.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)