Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Things to Do in Rapid City, SD

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM
  • 12 Replies

Planning a little family get away.  We're going at the end of May, so most of their summer stuff will be open, though I'm not sure about the Alpine slide and a few seasonal things.  

We are staying at the Comfort Suites, because they have a room big enough for all of us, continental breakfast and a pool, and we get a discount.

We plan to definitely visit Storybook Island, the City of Presidents, Mount Rushmore, Reptile Gardens, the Cosmos and Flinstone Village.  We will actually probably visit Mt. Rushmore on our way home and swing by Devil's Tower as well.

Thinking about Jewel Cave, one of the Chuckwagon Dinner Shows, and not sure what else.  Anyone from that area?  Or anyone who has vacationed there and knows what there is to see?  Fairly small budget, which is why we're choosing someplace fairly close and inexpensive before high tourist season, but if you have a recommend for activity or dining we would love to hear it!

Oh, and we will definitely visit Chuck E. Cheese.  We have as much fun as the kids do, and I think our last visit was in 2010 (I'm sure if we had one within 200 miles the novelty would wear off for DH and I).

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

We will probably skip Bear Country because it's very expensive.  And, as much as I would love to visit the Wild Horse Sanctuary, that's also a no go.

PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never been, but all those things sound like fun! 

batjmom
by Sarah on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I have never been but sounds like a great place to visit
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Drive east to Ellsworth AFB and check out the meuseum.  :-)  It is free, open to the public, and you don't actually have to go on post to get into the museum grounds.  Tons of planes with historical information outside and really good interactive exhibits inside.

kjbugsmom1517
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM
I go just about every summer. Im from there originally. Old mcdonald farm is really fun! As wellit as all ofi the stuff u listed. As for it being cheap for a vacation ha! Good luck with that. Its a good vacation spot tho. Lots to do. Not cheap tho. Storybook island is really great. We go several times while we visit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Fun!  My sister took her daughter and my mom there a year or so ago.  I can ask her if there is anything you didn't mention.  I don't know how long they were there though.  My sister tends to fly into a place stay one night and leave.

TonyaLea
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We visted that area when I was in highschool, and again a couple years ago.  We did Mt. Rushmore, the Native American monument that is similar (can't remember what it was called), Devil's tower, and I think that is also where Custer's last stand was, wasn't it?  I remember doing a tour of the field.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM

That sounds wonderful!  I bet DH will love it too :). Thanks for the info!

Quoting eema.gray:

Drive east to Ellsworth AFB and check out the meuseum.  :-)  It is free, open to the public, and you don't actually have to go on post to get into the museum grounds.  Tons of planes with historical information outside and really good interactive exhibits inside.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I hadn't heard of Old McDonald Farm.  I'll have to check that out :).  It's a lot cheaper than many places I've looked.  I also think it depends when you go.  We plan on doing mostly free or cheap activities, filling in with a few things that have admission fees.  

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

I go just about every summer. Im from there originally. Old mcdonald farm is really fun! As wellit as all ofi the stuff u listed. As for it being cheap for a vacation ha! Good luck with that. Its a good vacation spot tho. Lots to do. Not cheap tho. Storybook island is really great. We go several times while we visit.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Crazy Horse

Devil's Tower has been one of my favorite places since I was little.  I love all the myths that are associated with it.  

Quoting TonyaLea:

We visted that area when I was in highschool, and again a couple years ago.  We did Mt. Rushmore, the Native American monument that is similar (can't remember what it was called), Devil's tower, and I think that is also where Custer's last stand was, wasn't it?  I remember doing a tour of the field.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN