Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Sleep Apnea...continued!

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 15 Replies

The background:  Alex was diagnosed with sleep apnea in August.  He had his tonsils and adenoids out in early October which helped, but a follow up sleep study showed that he still had mild sleep apnea that turned severe during his REM cycle.

The present:  We were referred to a pediatric ENT who specializes in sleep apnea and saw him last week.  His plan is to knock Alex out, go in, and check the flap that covers his voice box - apparently the "hinges" on some people's flap are shorter than normal, and when he's knocked out they'll have a pretty accurate picture of what it looks like when he sleeps.  If it turns out that the hinges are indeed shorter, he'll clip them while he's in there.  He'll also check the set of tonsils by the voice box and if they're enlarged, put him on high doses of Prilosec, as acid reflux can cause them to enlarge, thus making breathing harder. 

The good news is that assuming they have to do the actual clipping, it's a pretty straightforward and easy procedure, and the recovery time is only 3-4 days (vs a week and a half for a tonsillectomy). 

Has anyone else dealt with this?  Was it successful?  If not, what further steps were taken? 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I've never been through that but I hope someone has some advice for you and hope the best for Alex.  *hugs*

PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Vertical15:

I've never been through that but I hope someone has some advice for you and hope the best for Alex.  *hugs*

Thanks!  I sure hope he's able to figure something out - I feel so bad that the poor boy hasn't had a good night of sleep in 6 years! 

Vertical15
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I do, too.  I can't imagine going through that.  Poor kiddo.

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Quoting Vertical15:

Thanks!  I sure hope he's able to figure something out - I feel so bad that the poor boy hasn't had a good night of sleep in 6 years! 

mhmomma
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Awe poor guy. Hope they are able to fix everything. So hard for our babies to go they this stuff. I have not dealt with this. Sorry. My son is a snorer big time. But they don't want to remove anything. His only problem is snoring.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Idk anything about it. But I hope the dr does help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I have not, but I hope everything goes smoothly and that someone out there has more information.  Sleep Apnea's a scary thing, and I'm glad you're working on answers!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Oh man. Poor guy. I hope this is the ticket for you guys. Keep us posted!

bmw29
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I haven't dealt with that but after ds had his tonsils and adnoids out to deal with his apnea we discovered that he didn't have that flap at all which made his speech very nasal and everything he swallowed came out of his nose. (barf) He had a surgery where they went in and took tissue from further down in his throat and built him a flap. His speech is still nasal and it will take many years before that new muscle develops enough to help that but it did solve the food coming out of his nose thing. GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Quoting bmw29:

I haven't dealt with that but after ds had his tonsils and adnoids out to deal with his apnea we discovered that he didn't have that flap at all which made his speech very nasal and everything he swallowed came out of his nose. (barf) He had a surgery where they went in and took tissue from further down in his throat and built him a flap. His speech is still nasal and it will take many years before that new muscle develops enough to help that but it did solve the food coming out of his nose thing. GL

That's interesting!  Alex has rather nasal speech as well, so I wonder if that's connected somehow.

I'm glad the surgery worked for your son! 

PrincessZ20
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes - tomorrow's the big day, so fingers crossed that they find something! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)