Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shopping cart covers: necessary or overprotective?

Posted by   + Show Post

Camp one. Dr. Dennis Woo, chairman of the department of pediatrics at UCLA-Santa Monica and father of 3, says “The fact that children do so well [without extreme protective measures] is a huge testament to the power of our immune systems....Good hand-washing and being a little selective about where you go makes sense to me. But nothing beyond that. Certainly, not a shopping-cart cover."

Camp Two. Dr. Philip Tierno, director of the department of clinical microbiology and diagnostic immunology at New York University Medical Center and the author of "The Secret Lives Of Germs," says anything you can do – including using shopping-cart covers – to reduce your child’s exposure to germs is worthwhile.  “It’s true that nothing you can do will eliminate germs, but you can cut down on them as much as possible,” says Tierno, who uses a cover when he takes his grandson grocery shopping.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6893254/ns/health-childrens_health/t/waging-war-germs/#.UQHdTx1ESB8

Which camp are you in?  Did you use a shopping car cover with your child?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
mcknitro
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I am Camp 1. IMO a little exposure to germs is necessary for a healthy immune system. I have noticed that it seems, at least to me, that those who over clean tend to be sick more than those who clean but aren't obsessed with it. Plus they have those disinfectant wipes at most grocery stores you can use if needed. I don't really think about germs too much though. I just practice good Hygene for the most part.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcknitro
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I thought of that too. Mostly it seems like a good idea to use when the little one is sleepy when u arrive at the store. Then they have soft surface to lay against and not a hard cart.

Quoting Ashley21:

I actually made one for my son but not to keep him from germs. I made it very padded and let him use it when he was still a little wobbly so that if he leaned in the cart it wouldn't be so hard.

disneyrose
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I got a disease from a shopping cart when I was 5 (pushing it) and several other kids my age got the same disease that landed them a couple weeks in the hospital, they think the small pox vac that I received is what helped me stay out of the hospital.  I uses the covers until he my little one turned 1 then always wiped my cart with lysol wipes

IloveNCIS
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I think they are fine for smaller children, say under 2 but when I see 3 and 4 year old still using them I want to laugh. I am not joking, I was at the store the other day and this kid had to be at least 4 years old and his mother was putting him in the cart with one on.

printerr
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

We didn't use one.  I'm a firm believe that (reasonable/"normal") exposure to germs helps build a strong immune system. 

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:17 AM

We were given one, but it was so impractical and bulky to take anywhere, I don't think I ever used it.  Now the grocery stores all have the wipes, and my kids will wipe down the cart before they let ME touch it! ;)

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM

That makes a lot of sense with a compromised immune system.

Quoting mhmomma:

I did not for my dd.  For my son I did but I was worried all the time with him.  He had a comprimised immune system.  He couldnt afford to get sick.  I know silly but it made me feel a little better.  ANd we made it without getting sick. 

themomof3boys
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM
No not with any of my boys
egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM
We had one with our oldest. We only used it a handful of times. The other kids have never used one.
momto3infl
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Most def Camp one and only selective with where to go when it comes to certain illness people may have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)