Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Shopping cart covers: necessary or overprotective?

Posted by   + Show Post

Camp one. Dr. Dennis Woo, chairman of the department of pediatrics at UCLA-Santa Monica and father of 3, says “The fact that children do so well [without extreme protective measures] is a huge testament to the power of our immune systems....Good hand-washing and being a little selective about where you go makes sense to me. But nothing beyond that. Certainly, not a shopping-cart cover."

Camp Two. Dr. Philip Tierno, director of the department of clinical microbiology and diagnostic immunology at New York University Medical Center and the author of "The Secret Lives Of Germs," says anything you can do – including using shopping-cart covers – to reduce your child’s exposure to germs is worthwhile.  “It’s true that nothing you can do will eliminate germs, but you can cut down on them as much as possible,” says Tierno, who uses a cover when he takes his grandson grocery shopping.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6893254/ns/health-childrens_health/t/waging-war-germs/#.UQHdTx1ESB8

Which camp are you in?  Did you use a shopping car cover with your child?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
mhmomma
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I worried about him all the time. 

Quoting TigerofMu:

That makes a lot of sense with a compromised immune system.

Quoting mhmomma:

I did not for my dd.  For my son I did but I was worried all the time with him.  He had a comprimised immune system.  He couldnt afford to get sick.  I know silly but it made me feel a little better.  ANd we made it without getting sick. 

newmommy430
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I used one for comfort more than germs. I liked that you could attach toys to it. It also had a nice zipper pocket that I could put snacks in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I would too.  There's some scary stuff out there.  You probably wanted to wrap him in a bubble when you left the house!

Quoting mhmomma:

I worried about him all the time. 

Quoting TigerofMu:

That makes a lot of sense with a compromised immune system.

Quoting mhmomma:

I did not for my dd.  For my son I did but I was worried all the time with him.  He had a comprimised immune system.  He couldnt afford to get sick.  I know silly but it made me feel a little better.  ANd we made it without getting sick. 

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I'm generally in camp 1. However we did use the covers, when DS started teething. Mostly because ours had toys on stretchy bands that he could chew on. Before that he chewd on the handle of the shopping cart, and actually got a fat lip once when DH ran over something in the produce section.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Quoting printerr:

We didn't use one.  I'm a firm believe that (reasonable/"normal") exposure to germs helps build a strong immune system. 

I completely agree with this.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TigerofMu:

We were given one, but it was so impractical and bulky to take anywhere, I don't think I ever used it.  Now the grocery stores all have the wipes, and my kids will wipe down the cart before they let ME touch it! ;)

Mine was really nice and rolled up nicely. No elastic or anyting like some I've seen. I kept it in the trunk w/ my reusable grocery bags.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I would use one right now with all the nasty illnesses out there. But my son is 4, he walks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Quoting new_mom808:

Quoting TigerofMu:

We were given one, but it was so impractical and bulky to take anywhere, I don't think I ever used it.  Now the grocery stores all have the wipes, and my kids will wipe down the cart before they let ME touch it! ;)

Mine was really nice and rolled up nicely. No elastic or anyting like some I've seen. I kept it in the trunk w/ my reusable grocery bags.

That's pretty slick :).  My youngest was born before the age of reusable grocery bags ;)

sunshine86912
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I had one..but I never remember to use it lol

Randi02
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I have never put a child (especially a baby!) in a shopping cart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN