Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shopping cart covers: necessary or overprotective?

Posted by   + Show Post

Camp one. Dr. Dennis Woo, chairman of the department of pediatrics at UCLA-Santa Monica and father of 3, says “The fact that children do so well [without extreme protective measures] is a huge testament to the power of our immune systems....Good hand-washing and being a little selective about where you go makes sense to me. But nothing beyond that. Certainly, not a shopping-cart cover."

Camp Two. Dr. Philip Tierno, director of the department of clinical microbiology and diagnostic immunology at New York University Medical Center and the author of "The Secret Lives Of Germs," says anything you can do – including using shopping-cart covers – to reduce your child’s exposure to germs is worthwhile.  “It’s true that nothing you can do will eliminate germs, but you can cut down on them as much as possible,” says Tierno, who uses a cover when he takes his grandson grocery shopping.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6893254/ns/health-childrens_health/t/waging-war-germs/#.UQHdTx1ESB8

Which camp are you in?  Did you use a shopping car cover with your child?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
sukainah
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Camp one, but some of them are rather entertaining for the baby as well, so that might be a plus.

lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM

We used one for our dd when she was a baby.

aneela
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:27 PM

i dont mind them at all...if u can afford it...i say get one

liss05
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Same here.

Quoting Lorraine2674:

Yep I use one for carts and high chairs when out..

Madelaine
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Over protective especially with the sanitizer wipes but I got one as a present for my now three year old when he was born and used it.  I wouldnt buy one though.

MamaMandee
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I got a really cute frog one with my last kid and forgot it in the ccar more than I used it lol

elasmimi
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I think wiping the cart handle down with a sanitizing wipe works jst as well.

jlbelknap35
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM
I used one for both kids when they weren't fully setting up good yet but once they were sitting good without falling over every time I turn a corner I stopped sense it was a hassle to carry around. It was also nice to hang toys from to distract them and make it where they cant toss them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I never used one.

Kainalu55
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I had one, but didn't use it.  I think it does help prevent contact with germs.  I always just clean the handle with antibacterial wipes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)