Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Shopping cart covers: necessary or overprotective?

Posted by   + Show Post

Camp one. Dr. Dennis Woo, chairman of the department of pediatrics at UCLA-Santa Monica and father of 3, says “The fact that children do so well [without extreme protective measures] is a huge testament to the power of our immune systems....Good hand-washing and being a little selective about where you go makes sense to me. But nothing beyond that. Certainly, not a shopping-cart cover."

Camp Two. Dr. Philip Tierno, director of the department of clinical microbiology and diagnostic immunology at New York University Medical Center and the author of "The Secret Lives Of Germs," says anything you can do – including using shopping-cart covers – to reduce your child’s exposure to germs is worthwhile.  “It’s true that nothing you can do will eliminate germs, but you can cut down on them as much as possible,” says Tierno, who uses a cover when he takes his grandson grocery shopping.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6893254/ns/health-childrens_health/t/waging-war-germs/#.UQHdTx1ESB8

Which camp are you in?  Did you use a shopping car cover with your child?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (51-52):
Charizma77
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Never used one but I do wipe of the carts first

4kidz916
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

If they would have been around when my kids were little, I would have used them.  I am a bit of a germophobe. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)