Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Kids and chores

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM
  • 25 Replies

Do your kids do chores around the house?  How did you figure out what they do?  DO they get an allowance for doing them?

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM

They do.  We split up the work and the older kids help more with the dishes and bigger things, but everyone can pitch in with cleaning up, sorting laundry, sweeping, etc.  They do get an allowance, or commission, and if rooms aren't picked up, the $ aren't delivered.  

Vertical15
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

We don't do allowance but they are responsible for some things like keeping their room cleaned up, laundry being put away.

My oldest helps vacuum and they all help clean dishes after meals. 

We kind of figure out what they do as they are able to do it.  One day I was cleaning the bathroom and my 5yo came in and asked to help.  He started wiping down the walls for me.  Something simple like that helps.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM
He keeps his room clean and put his laundry away.he help dh with yard work too.
He does not get payed either.he is 10 he be 11 in Aug.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM
They don't really have chores, more like things they are expected to do...and it's rare if they do them. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mhmomma
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

How many kids do you have?  I am trying to get the kids to do a bit more. My son is soooo bad at cleaning. 

Quoting TigerofMu:

They do.  We split up the work and the older kids help more with the dishes and bigger things, but everyone can pitch in with cleaning up, sorting laundry, sweeping, etc.  They do get an allowance, or commission, and if rooms aren't picked up, the $ aren't delivered.  

mhmomma
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Ya I don't want the whole allowance thing. We are a household and it should be cleaned by everyone. I need to figure out who does what. I'm bad though. I'm home all day. Sometimes it's easier to just do it when they are at school. 

Quoting Vertical15:

We don't do allowance but they are responsible for some things like keeping their room cleaned up, laundry being put away.

My oldest helps vacuum and they all help clean dishes after meals. 

We kind of figure out what they do as they are able to do it.  One day I was cleaning the bathroom and my 5yo came in and asked to help.  He started wiping down the walls for me.  Something simple like that helps.

KALmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM

We do!  I have 3 kids (ages 9, 7 & 5) and we have this cute chore chart (Melissa & Doug) that has things like "brush your teeth", "clean up room", "put dishes away", etc.  We also have written some of our own chores.  My kids don't necessarily get money but at the end of the month, if they have done well, they get a reward.  Sometimes it's money or a toy,  Other times it is something like have a friend stay the night or have a movie night or stay up late night. 

mamavalor
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Every Saturday or Sunday morning the whole family spend an hour or two cleaning up the house.  The older ones clean up their rooms, dust, vaccum, laundry, clean windows.  The younger ones straighten out the family room.  DH cleans the bathrooms.  I clean the kitchen.  Chores change weekly depending on what is needed.  We don't pay an allowance.  What?!  Pay you to clean up after yourself?!

How do they make money, you ask?  Like everyone else, go out and make it.  So far, they have earned their money from selling origami and harry potter wands that they make. 

printerr
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM

My son folds and puts away his own laundry.  He also picks up his toys.  I think that's about it for now, although he "helps" with some other things at times.  He does not get an allowance yet.  He's 4.

mhmomma
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM

My 9 year old DD cleans her own room and does laundry....only after lots of reminding

Quoting auntangelofsix:

He keeps his room clean and put his laundry away.he help dh with yard work too.
He does not get payed either.he is 10 he be 11 in Aug.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)