Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids do chores around the house?  How did you figure out what they do?  DO they get an allowance for doing them?

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
mhmomma
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad my kids are not the only one LOL

Quoting TerriC:

They don't really have chores, more like things they are expected to do...and it's rare if they do them. Lol

mhmomma
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Thats great.  I need to work on something.  My kids just dont seem to have any time for anything.  I will have to sit and work on some type of routine

Quoting KALmommy:

We do!  I have 3 kids (ages 9, 7 & 5) and we have this cute chore chart (Melissa & Doug) that has things like "brush your teeth", "clean up room", "put dishes away", etc.  We also have written some of our own chores.  My kids don't necessarily get money but at the end of the month, if they have done well, they get a reward.  Sometimes it's money or a toy,  Other times it is something like have a friend stay the night or have a movie night or stay up late night. 

moroccanmommy
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Yes it teaches life skills, selfcare, family cohesion, responsibilty, and money management .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mhmomma
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I try not to clean on weekends if I can help it.  The kids do need to clean their rooms.  I change sheets on Friday and try to have all laundry done.  If we are having company they need to help clean before company comes.

Quoting mamavalor:

Every Saturday or Sunday morning the whole family spend an hour or two cleaning up the house.  The older ones clean up their rooms, dust, vaccum, laundry, clean windows.  The younger ones straighten out the family room.  DH cleans the bathrooms.  I clean the kitchen.  Chores change weekly depending on what is needed.  We don't pay an allowance.  What?!  Pay you to clean up after yourself?!

How do they make money, you ask?  Like everyone else, go out and make it.  So far, they have earned their money from selling origami and harry potter wands that they make. 

mhmomma
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Wow my kids did not do that at four.  I can barely get them to do it at 6 and 9

Quoting printerr:

My son folds and puts away his own laundry.  He also picks up his toys.  I think that's about it for now, although he "helps" with some other things at times.  He does not get an allowance yet.  He's 4.

mhmomma
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Very true...I am really goign to start making a list of chores they can start doing consistanly

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Yes it teaches life skills, selfcare, family cohesion, responsibilty, and money management .

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM

MIne are still young so one isn't in school and another is only three days a week.  I try to get things done when we are all home to help.

Quoting mhmomma:

Ya I don't want the whole allowance thing. We are a household and it should be cleaned by everyone. I need to figure out who does what. I'm bad though. I'm home all day. Sometimes it's easier to just do it when they are at school. 

Quoting Vertical15:

We don't do allowance but they are responsible for some things like keeping their room cleaned up, laundry being put away.

My oldest helps vacuum and they all help clean dishes after meals. 

We kind of figure out what they do as they are able to do it.  One day I was cleaning the bathroom and my 5yo came in and asked to help.  He started wiping down the walls for me.  Something simple like that helps.

sunshine86912
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM

someone suggested a backwards way of chores.  You give them a set amount each week, say $5...they have to do what you ask them to, clean their plate, clean their room, etc..and if they do NOT, then they must pay YOU to do it for them, so they would have to give you $1 to clear their plate for them..stuff like that.  it was an interesting way to think about it

sunshine86912
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I am with you though..I personally dont really like the idea of an allowence..i dont mind giving them something when they go above and beyond, like my 6 year old..I had her help vacuum the whole house, so I gave her $1..because its not something she would normally have to do. lol

egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM
The only one that's really 'assigned' right now is cleaning up their things. My oldest is only 5 though and as they get older they'll have more things they're responsible for.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)