Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Do your kids do chores around the house?  How did you figure out what they do?  DO they get an allowance for doing them?

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Replies (21-25):
new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Not really. He has to carry his bag in every day and unpack it. Otherwise just little things like helping unoad the silverware from the dishwasher or put away groceries when I ask. Oh and he LOVES helping with laundry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Oh and no allowence yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
printerr
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I can thank my husband for getting our son to fold and put away the laundry starting at age 3.  As for the toys, that's a "sometimes" thing.  LOL

Quoting mhmomma:

Wow my kids did not do that at four.  I can barely get them to do it at 6 and 9

Quoting printerr:

My son folds and puts away his own laundry.  He also picks up his toys.  I think that's about it for now, although he "helps" with some other things at times.  He does not get an allowance yet.  He's 4.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:38 AM

My kids do have chores that they do... keeping their rooms clean, putting away laundry.  Those are expected but if they help out with the gardening, yard work, ect then they do get a small allowance

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM

We have four at home.  16, 12, 11, and 9.  Oh, and they still have to clean up their rooms, they just don't get the $ if we have to remind them about it.  The chores need to be done regardless, and we're trying to teach them to budget the money, so not doing the chores isn't an option.  It just means that they have to spend what should have been their free time doing what they didn't take care of.  

One thing that really helped is writing the expectations down on paper and posting them.  We also work with them quite a bit of the time, and we've gone through with them and decluttered their rooms and showed them how they should look.

Quoting mhmomma:

How many kids do you have?  I am trying to get the kids to do a bit more. My son is soooo bad at cleaning. 

Quoting TigerofMu:

They do.  We split up the work and the older kids help more with the dishes and bigger things, but everyone can pitch in with cleaning up, sorting laundry, sweeping, etc.  They do get an allowance, or commission, and if rooms aren't picked up, the $ aren't delivered.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN