Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

toenail amost torn off

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM
  • 17 Replies

So not one of my kids, but my pregnant self. Im such a klutz right now that I honest to bob couldn't tell you exactly HOW I managed to do it, other than I do know it was trama related and not just falling off. Really doesnt help I'm already one of those with bruises that just randomly show up.

My big toenail on Friday almost got ripped off. Maybe half-way off. I soaked it, rinsed what I could with hydrogen peroxide and alcohol and taped it down. The next day my nail seemed to stay in place, and I noticed "crusties" at the top of the nail. Today my youngest stepped on my foot while I was wearing sandles and it bled just a little and HURT. I soaked it some more, and df says it was getting infected and getting stepped on it popped it? My nail is back to being loose after a good soad and more hydrogenperioxide.

Other than my toe looking purple....is there anything I should be keeping an eye out for? Getting to my primary care dr will take a few days if I need to go, but I would really rather not go unless I have to.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Ouch! I heard if it gets a pus type bubble/blister it could be infected. Hope it gets better!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Yea, OUCH!  Sounds like youre taking good care of it and I wouldn't worry too much if you are headed to the Dr in a few days.  Just keep an eye on it!

copperked
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Keep an eye out for anything other than red blood seeping out and, I know this is probably going to be hard, pay attention to how it smells. If it starts to smell rotten, see somebody about it right away.  Also watch to see if the discoloration spreads or the swelling increases. I've done this to myself a couple of times and I soaked it in epsom salt water to prevent infection, but only the first day or two as soaking it too much might keep the cuticle soft and allow bacteria or fungus to get in there and grow. Don't worry if the nail starts to detach itself or if you see new nail growing in under it. That's perfectly normal. Just don't try to help it along other than maybe trimming off the parts that are already detached with clean clippers.

darbyakeep45
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Ouch mama!  Hugs!  Hope it gets better soon:)

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM

My toenail just fell off not too long ago.  We kept it clean, and just waited till it fell off (though I did let my husband trim it after it was barely hanging by a thread, because I kept catching it on stuff).  It'll grow back eventually.  I hate those random bruises!

MichelleK41
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Antibiotic cream and in between keep it washed, all until you go to the dr. Being pg. you def. do not want infection in the blood stream.

sukainah
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Ouch! I hope it gets better!

sukainah
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this.  Infection is not good while pregnant.

Quoting MichelleK41:

Antibiotic cream and in between keep it washed, all until you go to the dr. Being pg. you def. do not want infection in the blood stream.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Ouch.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Ouch!  I would say if the pain goes from just the dull throb of a bruise to burning or sharp pain you may need to go in. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN