Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Yesterday my son had to have two shots, the tetanus/whooping cough shot and the chicken pox booster.

OMG, the fit he threw over not wanting them.  He's almost 12 mind you and thank God we were there at the end of the day because he was literally screaming.

He did eventually get the shots while screaming but then right after the first poke stopped, said "huh, that's it?" and was fine with the second one. 

Anyone else have a child who is so needle phobic?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
egyptian_mommy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM
My oldest (6 in two weeks) is like that. He has an absolute fit. Dd has started getting nervous about them. My 4 year old isn't phased, doesn't shed a tear.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Did you end up having to hold him down or just his hand?

And I now find it funny as I said my aversion is only dulled!  I still don't like them!

Quoting amonkeymom:

I'm glad your mom saw the funny side, because in a way it is.  

At one point my son had backed himself into a corner between the wall and the exam table.  I told him there was no way he was going to get away doing that.  lol

Quoting Vertical15:

My kids aren't but I sure was.  My mom loves telling a story about her and my Dr chasing me around the little office because I refused to let them give me a shot.  From then on my parents would both have to go and hold me down.

Thankfully age, piercings, tattoos and pregnancy have all helped dull my aversion LOL

countrygirlkat
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM
My 7 year old got the flu shot this fall and was screaming bloody murder and we literally had to hold him down. I felt so embarrassed until the nurse told me that the doctor's son got a flu shot when he was 8 or 9 and ran out of the room and they had to chase him and then he held onto the door frame and they were trying to get him back......
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM

It took one of the nurses and I both to hold him down.  

I don't like them either, but looking away helps. 

Quoting Vertical15:

Did you end up having to hold him down or just his hand?

And I now find it funny as I said my aversion is only dulled!  I still don't like them!

Quoting amonkeymom:

I'm glad your mom saw the funny side, because in a way it is.  

At one point my son had backed himself into a corner between the wall and the exam table.  I told him there was no way he was going to get away doing that.  lol

Quoting Vertical15:

My kids aren't but I sure was.  My mom loves telling a story about her and my Dr chasing me around the little office because I refused to let them give me a shot.  From then on my parents would both have to go and hold me down.

Thankfully age, piercings, tattoos and pregnancy have all helped dull my aversion LOL

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM

LOL - Not funny, but funny at the same time.  Colin was much the same way, holding onto anything that he thought might help.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

My 7 year old got the flu shot this fall and was screaming bloody murder and we literally had to hold him down. I felt so embarrassed until the nurse told me that the doctor's son got a flu shot when he was 8 or 9 and ran out of the room and they had to chase him and then he held onto the door frame and they were trying to get him back......

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I'm thinking it's an age thing for some kids. I threw a fit like you've never seen when I was that age over shots. The last time we took DS to the ped's office a girl was doing the same thing.
I think you get to an age where the idea that someone can do something to your body that you dont want them to, is just enough to cause a meltdown.

Rushn311
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM

My 5 year old son....he gets very mad.

mrswillie
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Dsd is. She is 16.

kellynh
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM

My kids have always been fine

KaylaMillar
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM

lol sounds like my sister. She was the same way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)