Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

OT: types of beds for kids' shared rooms?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM
  • 54 Replies

We are moving soon, and on the lookout for beds.  My girls are going to be sharing a room.  Right now the 7 month old is in a crib, but I am trying to figure out what to get my 4 year old, keeping in mind that the crib won't be in use forever.  We have contemplated twin beds, captains beds,  bunk beds, a loft bed that could eventually fit another full or twin bed underneath.

If your kids share a a room, or if you ever shared a room, what beds have you found to work out well?

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My brothers did twin beds that were bunk beds orginally but could be taken apart.  The older one got the top while younger one got bottom with rails put on.

Vertical15
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:14 PM

We started with a Trundle bed but it didn't go over well-it wasn't convenient to pull out each night.  Then we just did two toddler beds which they are currently in.  We are looking into bunk beds for the younger two, eventually and a loft bed for the oldest to help give his room some more space.

TonyaLea
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting frndlyfn:

My brothers did twin beds that were bunk beds orginally but could be taken apart.  The older one got the top while younger one got bottom with rails put on.

My husband's younger brothers had bunk beds too.  He thinks that is what we should do for the girls as well, but I worry about them not having a sense of their own "space" with bunkbeds.  It would leave more floorspace open for playing though.  I like the idea of being able to take them apart eventually if they want.

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Quoting TonyaLea:

Quoting frndlyfn:

My husband's younger brothers had bunk beds too.  He thinks that is what we should do for the girls as well, but I worry about them not having a sense of their own "space" with bunkbeds.  It would leave more floorspace open for playing though.  I like the idea of being able to take them apart eventually if they want.

2 girls I watched had a bunk bed system and each bed was so different in the bedding and accessories.  They even hung material (cloth)  on the wall next to their bed for even more personality.  Do they fight for space now?

TonyaLea
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Quoting Vertical15:

We started with a Trundle bed but it didn't go over well-it wasn't convenient to pull out each night.  Then we just did two toddler beds which they are currently in.  We are looking into bunk beds for the younger two, eventually and a loft bed for the oldest to help give his room some more space.

How old are your younger two?  Do they like the idea of bunk beds?

TonyaLea
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:
Quoting TonyaLea:
Quoting frndlyfn:

2 girls I watched had a bunk bed system and each bed was so different in the bedding and accessories.  They even hung material (cloth)  on the wall next to their bed for even more personality.  Do they fight for space now?

My youngest is a baby, so no, but I worry about the future when the younger one is toddler/preschool age and the older one is in elementary school.  

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

The girls i watched were 2 years apart so 5 and 7/8.   

TonyaLea
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I just found this set that is intersting.  It is a twin over twin with a trundle underneath, and they can be separated.  They also have one with drawers underneath instead of the trundle.

Columbia Twin Over Twin Bunk Bed with Trundle Bed - Natural Maple

Xandriasmommy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

This is what I have for my dd. I liked that it had the stairs especially since she started sleeping on top at 4...I also got the trundle just in case
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM

We have two sets of homemade bunkbeds. The top beds are basically shelves tucked up under the eaves, and each of the bottom bunks is a twin bed on a metal frame so the girls aren't sleeping on the floor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)